1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Reeling in 'Large' Residential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jslawncare, Jan 15, 2003.

1. jslawncare

jslawncare LawnSite Member

Hey there guys. I am currently looking to expand. I have about 20 residential lots, but just west of town the lots get enormously bigger, most are an 1-2 acre, but some are even bigger than that. Since I will have a 48" JD and a 21" honda push mower, and a 38" CubCadet Ride on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was wondering if i should try to tackle these houses, I know its a totally different breed of mowing (big lawns take more care to look nice), but I was thinking about hitting a few of them up. Perhaps charging in the area of about $40 for most acres...I'm pretty much a 1 man operation with my own truck (doin this to pay for school). I am going to create 3 types of flyers. In town flyers (charge $20) , in my neighborhood (bigger .5 acre lots) and rich people, I was going to charge $25, and then the acre ones, maybe even steeper (I dont really want them bad, but if i do great, so maybe $45) but its been awhile since we used to live on a 2 acre lot, and itd be a week or two before i got the handle on how to mow those large yards

2. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

where are you mowing IL of Laf. ?

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say you are on the low side with all your prices except for the "in town" lots. For half acre lots around here, I get around $40 and the larger ones you speak of start at $60 (1 acre) and up depending on degree of difficulty and obstacles.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think you better supply yourself with a larger mower if you want to tackle those size lawns. A 48" WB without a velke is gonna be a whole ton of walking on 1 and 2 acre lawns.

A 52" WB with a velke would be the smallest I would recommend, probably a 61". If you could get your hands on a Z, so much the better.

Prices are too low I feel.

5. jslawncare

Well the in town ones are a roughly 1/4 acre and im charging 20, the ones that are a little farther away, (in my neighborhood) are about 1/2 acre and i charge $25 ( but these are 500k homes) and then the ones west are 1acre+. I am doing lawns in IL

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you are charging $20 for 1/4 acre, why only $25 for a 1/2 acre? Why not $40? It's double the size, isn't it? Besides being ridiculously low, that makes absolutely no sense (literally).

I am not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to help ya.

7. jslawncare

Nah Im not offended, I had $25 bucks in my neighborhood for these half acre lots and some jackass came in charging $22, so I really can't afford to raise them. In town I seem to get a great response at $20 bucks. (which would be fine if i had a 54" deck, id fly through em). But out west my friend was charging $40 or $45 and he was doin alright so I figured thats what I would charge. $45 per acre. One question, do you think a gear deere 54" deck with 14" hp is gonna be enough or should it have 17 hp you think? the extra 3 hp is another like 900 bucs:(

8. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

dont let other people set your prices. Now you will be the "J******" by coming in and lowballing him.

Know what you need to charge and charge it, if they don't like the price let someone else do it. Coming down by $5 from $25 to $20 is 20% off. So if you were going to make $20,000 you just cut that down to $16,000.

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

No offense meant, but at your prices they would be reeling you in.

10. jslawncare

Theres too much competition around here. I think I will keep the in town ones low and my neighborhood at $25, but I will raise the acre+ lots to more like $50 so I don't get too many yards.

Later,
    Jason