1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

references

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aklandscape, Jun 11, 2004.

1. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

How many times has someone asked for a reference before you are hired to do their lawn?? This guy calls up and says my friend needs a price on getting his lawn mowed. I say I'll take a look give me the address. I call him back and his wife says you just missed him(again). I tell her what the price is and she says i'll let him know. Well 7:00 a.m. this morning he calls asking for me and my wife says he's sleeping he just got home from work an hour ago, oh i'll call later. 7:15 a.m. he calls again and says he wants 4 references. What do you guys do for references, give him customers phone numbers for him to call or what???

2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I said sure..

I then find like 1 or 2 customers that I service, I tell them can I use them as a reference?

I then give him the # to these customers..

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Id never give my customers phone number out............
    I carry a photo album of jobs iv done and yards i maintain.
    I will give address's tho if they would like to take a drive by and see my work in person.
    What happens when that guy calls your customer at 6:00 in the morning. :angry: :angry:

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

What about getting a few of your regulars to write up letters for you???

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

agree never give a cust. # out Show them pics, and if thats not good enough for them then move on

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I get some letters from some of my commercial clients. They are usually glad to do that. I make up a bunch of copies of them, put them in a pocket folder along with pictures of my equipment. THen when someone asks I just whip out the whole folder with the letters.

Mike

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

sounds like he will be a pita in the long run. i wouldnt take him if he asked for 4 refrences.

8. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

That was my concern about references. Plus this guy seems a little weird, the house I'm pricing is for sale and he wants exactly 4 references. Maybe he wants to call them and ask if their happy with their current lco because he has a deal for them if they switch over to him!!!!!