• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Referral idea

TeamLawnCare

LawnSite Member
I have been in business for over 10 years now, each spring I make a substantial amount of my income by aerating lawns. Each year I will have a company usually a local fertilizer company contact me and offer to give me names of their customers to aerate. I don't fertilize and don't particularly plan on getting into that business anytime soon that is a discussion for another thread. This year I am planning on contacting all of the fertilizer/pesticide applicator companies in my area and seeking referrals of people. I have a lot more time this year and will be able to utilize this part of my business. My question is, has or does anyone currently use other businesses for referrals? What kind of agreement do you have with each other? For instance if I were to call up ABC company and say "I would like to work out a deal where I refer all of my customers for fertilization if you will give me all your customers seeking aeration. In return I will provide a kick back or a percentage of sale for a finders fee... etc etc" What are your ideas for an incentive for them to give me these names?

The Grass Guy

LawnSite Member
I work my current customers as far as lawn care goes, i knock off 5 bucks for every person they refer for the season.At the end of the season everyone goes back to full price and we start over again the next year.It works out and some customers are really good at working towards getting free cuts lol

ACA L&L

LawnSite Bronze Member
we will usually just agree to send one another bizness. Any other way could be ugly. If it was something that I saw that could be big immediately like your saying, i would try and work out some sort of discount that each one of you could offer the potential client. You do aeration $10 cheaper for his customers he ferts $xx amount cheaper.? just a thought.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Speaking for myself...

I would never send my customers to someone I've never even met or that I don't know personally real good,
granted that's just me but I won't do it, no way, no how.

No sir.

Because I have to know, for myself and my customer(s), that the other company is bona fide.

Last edited:
OP
T

TeamLawnCare

LawnSite Member
I think many of you may have missed the reasoning for this thread. This is not an idea for referrals from customers. It is business to business referrals, I am contacting a fertilizing business and seeking names of their customers that are interested in aerations. I am looking for ideas of things I could offer the other business in return for the names.

JayD

LawnSite Silver Member
I have been in business for over 10 years now, each spring I make a substantial amount of my income by aerating lawns. Each year I will have a company usually a local fertilizer company contact me and offer to give me names of their customers to aerate. I don't fertilize and don't particularly plan on getting into that business anytime soon that is a discussion for another thread. This year I am planning on contacting all of the fertilizer/pesticide applicator companies in my area and seeking referrals of people. I have a lot more time this year and will be able to utilize this part of my business. My question is, has or does anyone currently use other businesses for referrals? What kind of agreement do you have with each other? For instance if I were to call up ABC company and say "I would like to work out a deal where I refer all of my customers for fertilization if you will give me all your customers seeking aeration. In return I will provide a kick back or a percentage of sale for a finders fee... etc etc" What are your ideas for an incentive for them to give me these names?
This could work if you find the right person to work with.