1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Registering a 10k trailer at 7k? Legal?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by srl28, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. srl28

    srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,177

    I recently purchased a freightliner fl50 which has a gvw of 18k. Now to tow and still stay under cdl limits, I can have a trailer of 8k or lower. I have a really great Texas bragg equipment/landscape trailer thtat is built at 9990 and is registered at that, 9990. Can I re-register this trailer and where it asks you for how much its gvw is put in 7 or 8k instead of the 9990? This way I could have it on the back of the 18k freightliner and not be over the gcwr limit of 26,001. Would this work? Legal?? Any help on this is much appreciated before I go out and drop close to 3k on a new open trailer if I already have one that may work:hammerhead: . If it makes a diff. I'm in NJ- Land of Stupid Rules!:laugh:

    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    it does not matter what you registar it for they go off of the manufacurer's rating. Just get a CDL not a big deal I've had one for about 10 years now.
  3. tthomass

    tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA
    Messages: 3,497

    I think you've got this wrong.

    My International is 25,500 GWV.......so that is under the 26,001 CDL requirement.


    I can tow a trailer up to 9,999 GVW behind the truck and NOT need a CDL. If I hit 10,000+ GVW I will need a CDL, even though the truck itself is not CDL.

    I've got a Class A and have spoken several times with the State Police on this and other stuff........Virginia.
  4. srl28

    srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,177

    tthomas, is that true? I've heard similar stuff and that somethings like what you said are not true (at least around here)

    Clark Lawn- I wouldn't mind, but I' d like it so that my employees (most without CDLs) can drive this combo around.
  5. ATL Lawn

    ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 318

    whats a CDL?


    lol just kidding
  6. SiteSolutions

    SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,114

    I think you're mixing GVWR (Gross Vehicle weight Rating - gross weight of the truck) with GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating - gross weight of truck + trailer)

    I have a 26,000# dump truck and a 10,000# trailer. I had to buy a tag for the truck that covers the maximum combined weight I plan to haul, or a tag over 36,000#. As long as you aren't exceeding the rating of the truck or trailer, and you have enough tag, you should be okay.

    Do you happen to know the max that the Freightliner will tow? I don't think that is stamped on the nameplate on my truck. Maybe somebody else on here has seen this?

    Anyway, I would always buy more tag than I expect to need. If you have too little tag for what you are hauling, I would suspect that a hefty fine would result.
  7. sgrprincees

    sgrprincees LawnSite Member
    Messages: 59

    Page 8 of http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Commercial/CDL_Manual_english.pdf should clarify (though it's kinda confusing). The best I can figure out, tthomass is right. You'd need a class A if your gcwr was 26,001 lbs AND the "gcwr" (I think that's a typo and they meant gvwr) of the vehicle being towed was more than 10,000 lbs. Your gcwr would be over 26,000, but the trailer would be under 10k, so you'd be ok without a CDL.
  8. SiteSolutions

    SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,114

    Here's how they do plates / tags in Alabama:


    I have an "X4" tag on my dump truck, 33,001 - 44,000 pounds, to cover the maximum I would ever expect to see on my truck+trailer GCWR (although as old as it is, I don't like to have the trailer loaded while I have much of a load in the bed. It does haul a load of mulch and tow the Bobcat okay.) I got a "TR" tag for my trailer and registered it for 10,000#.

    New jersey rules ain't exactly the same:


    But I would definitely register your truck and trailer at what they are rated at.
  9. SiteSolutions

    SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,114

    You need a CDL if: (copied from here: http://www.dps.state.al.us/public/driverlicense/faq.asp#anchor851895)

    CLASS A - This classification applies only to "combination" vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) exceeding 26,000 pounds, provided the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed exceeds 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class A license, which includes any appropriate endorsements, may operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D

    CLASS B - This class includes single or combination vehicles where the GVWR of the single vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds. The vehicle in tow must not exceed 10,000 pounds. Class B licensees, with appropriate endorsements, may drive all vehicles in Class C or D.

    CLASS C - Vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, and vehicles placarded for hazardous materials, that do not meet the criteria for Class A or B above fall under this classification and may drive all vehicles in Class D.

    CDL Endorsements are required for double/triple trailers, tanker vehicles, passenger vehicles and vehicles placarded for hazardous materials.
  10. Focal Point Landscapes

    Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 401

    My DOT guy says class A is required if gcvw of truck and trailer exceeds 26k , period . But there is much confusion on this , you can get a different answer from the next one you ask.

Share This Page