Regular pistol grip walk behind mowers seem troublesome for new workers.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Last few new hire’s I’ve had on our smallest walk seem to really struggle with operating.. walking yard with no blades on, hard time figuring the controls, missing patches turning, shooting grass all over, and not mowing the curbline are just some.

Yes they’ve all been fully explained and given a tutorial as well as practicing at shop. I’ve been running walks for over 10 years and don’t remember having these much issues getting started, ever..It almost seems like a common sense lacking in all, who are/were good hires.

Not everyone can mow, and mowing your own lawn doesn’t count. This is partially why I am considering getting a couple toro 30’s again. The KISS method.

Last edited:

44DCNF

LawnSite Platinum Member
Do you think if they were walked through the adjustments for the drive and brake function of the levers/belts, that it would help in their figuring them out?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
When I bought my first belt drive WB to start mowing my own yard, the guy I bought it from brought it to my house and taught me. I still sucked for a while, and I'm fairly intuitive and mechanically inclined.

I'm not sure how much "training time" you are actually talking about. But don't compare your 10 years experience to a new guys zero. I took my 36" belt drive to my brother to borrow. Showed him the ropes so he could mow his yard. We are twins, and equally mechanical and intuitive on learning how things work. I got a great laugh watching him struggle after using one for a couple years.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Last few new hire’s I’ve had on our smallest walk seem to really struggle with operating.. walking yard with no blades on, hard time figuring the controls, missing patches turning, shooting grass all over, and not mowing the curbline are just some.

Yes they’ve all been fully explained and given a tutorial as well as practicing at shop. I’ve been running walks for over 10 years and don’t remember having these much issues getting started, ever..It almost seems like a common sense lacking in all, who are/were good hires.

Not everyone can mow, and mowing your own lawn doesn’t count. This is partially why I am considering getting a couple toro 30’s again. The KISS method.
Evidently your new employees have previously spent to much time indulging in the same thing the members of KISS are known to partake of.

That video is beyond annoying when reading your post.

OP
JLSLLC

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
When I bought my first belt drive WB to start mowing my own yard, the guy I bought it from brought it to my house and taught me. I still sucked for a while, and I'm fairly intuitive and mechanically inclined.

I'm not sure how much "training time" you are actually talking about. But don't compare your 10 years experience to a new guys zero. I took my 36" belt drive to my brother to borrow. Showed him the ropes so he could mow his yard. We are twins, and equally mechanical and intuitive on learning how things work. I got a great laugh watching him struggle after using one for a couple years.
Its lawn mowing it’s not that hard. I showed my dad years ago and he picked it up in minutes. As well as a good friend, same thing,..Lots of training time, starting at shop navigating around,and then the crappy properties following by me constantly repeating and showing them.

Top Forums