Regular pistol grip walk behind mowers seem troublesome for new workers.

GRANTSKI

LawnSite Silver Member
Idk they’ve been so reliable over the years & have too many pros for me so I still say a new belt drive is fine. Super low gas consumption compared to my predator pro / I can fix anything on the spot besides major engine issues / and they are light weight which makes them less dangerous in certain ways . the only thing that sucks is when belts and controls aren’t adjusted right & they get old they are def a little harder to operate so I would NOT but used . I just bought another brand new bobcat belt drive and that’s what my employee runs 75% of the time. My first boss had a bunch of us between16-18 years old running belt drive bobcats through graveyards. We learned pretty quick and that was on 1990’s models. It’s not that hard

Groomer

LawnSite Gold Member
Hydros operate on the same principle as the belts, let out to full speed, squeeze to brake then full squeeze to reverse....
except, you can't squeeze a belt drive and get a full reverse, or am I wrong?

it's been so many years since I've run a belt drive walk, and I haven't even looked at a new one in so long, I wasn't aware they had a true handle controlled reverse now.

they sure didn't back in the day. lol

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
No the belt is open- speed, squeeze-brake, shift to reverse, open and pull like helllllllllllll

OP
JLSLLC

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I wonder if OP’s trainees are thinking “this sucks, Forget it”…
At the rate I pay they can flip burgers for all I care. Don’t break a nail lol :laugh: :laugh:

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
Idk they’ve been so reliable over the years & have too many pros for me so I still say a new belt drive is fine. Super low gas consumption compared to my predator pro / I can fix anything on the spot besides major engine issues / and they are light weight which makes them less dangerous in certain ways . the only thing that sucks is when belts and controls aren’t adjusted right & they get old they are def a little harder to operate so I would NOT but used . I just bought another brand new bobcat belt drive and that’s what my employee runs 75% of the time. My first boss had a bunch of us between16-18 years old running belt drive bobcats through graveyards. We learned pretty quick and that was on 1990’s models. It’s not that hard
Whats easier to crash?

- A Hydro mower that only moves forward when you move the levers?

or

- A belt driven mower that only stops moving forward after you engage the brakes.

A belt driven mower seems a hell of lot more expensive when you factor in the added risk of potential property damage imo.

Then you have other factors like training time and quality of life that bleed into costs associated with a high employee turn over.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Whats easier to crash?

- A Hydro mower that only moves forward when you move the levers?

or

- A belt driven mower that only stops moving forward after you engage the brakes.

A belt driven mower seems a hell of lot more expensive when you factor in the added risk of potential property damage imo.

Then you have other factors like training time and quality of life that bleed into costs associated with a high employee turn over.
Someone earlier pointed out most hydro WB move forward when you release the grip levers. They slow down when you squeeze halfway, and reverse when you squeeze all the way. Pretty similar to the belt drive.

As long as you don't disable the dead man safety on either, they should kill the engine when you let go of the handles.

Top Forums