1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Relay bad on Toro Proline?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by msryan, Apr 7, 2008.

1. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

I bought a used Toro Proline 44" Floater with a 20hp Kohler. It is model number 30192.

I was told it needed a PTO Clutch and the guy had it "tested" at the dealer and did not want to put the money into it. Well I replaced that and that is not the problem. So I now have an extra should it go out down the road.

When I press the engage switch the pto engages but as soon as I let go they stop. If I hold it down they keep going. I do not think the switch is the problem.

My only other thought is that it is the relay. Has anyone had this same problem? I don't want to keep buying parts I don't need. THanks.

Matt

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Matt,

What makes you think that ?

If the clutch works with the switch held down that's a sign the spring inside has seen better days and is no longer keeping it switched in.

The relay is powered by a switch, If the switch is bad the relay will not work.

3. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

Sorry I forgot to mention earlier that I did replace the switch and had the same problem.