• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Relocating to Florida questions

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Not for mowing. I don’t think so for trimming shrubs but it seems like some of counties require one if the total is over $500. Definitely worth checking into.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you need license or special certificate for mowing and shrubs?
In Florida, however, lawn care operators fall under the landscape design umbrella. Floridian landscape design companies can mow, trim, plant and maintain lawns without using pesticides. But you need to get a business license from the Florida Department of State Division of Corporations before you work on anyone's yard.Jun 21, 2019

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Yes you need a business license to work in most places over the US. But you need an additional contractors license for the work I was describing (which we take for granted not needing here). And there are educational/ insurance requirements needed for a contractors license compared to a basic biz license.

ShowCaseLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
sounds like your mind is made up I can’t blame you I moved from the Midwest down here. Plenty of work don’t think you will have trouble in that area. Just different prices a lot lower I would say 25-30% lower then you are use to getting up north. You do get to work year round which makes up plus keeps steady income in the winter. Guess it’s all about what makes you happy.

Matt_T

LawnSite Member
I'm in St Petersburg right now. I'm not a native, and haven't spent a ton of time here. We are relocating and just bought a place in Tarpon Springs. Right now is snow bird season and the traffic is the worst of the year. That said, its not any worse then any other developed area imo. I'm from Topeka, Kansas, and the traffic reminds me a lot of KC. I have no interest in living in Tampa proper, but from St Petersburg up to Tarpon Springs all have lower then national averages for crime. Some areas well below average. New Port Richey area is above average in crime. I did lawn mowing part time back in Kansas, and continue to do so here. I see lots of comments about no money in mowing, but people say that about everywhere. Know how you want to live and set your prices accordingly. Dont waste your time on $20 yards, those exist everywhere. Florida isnt that expensive to live. In many ways its cheaper then Kansas, all in all, its a fairly similar cost of living. Real estate prices are the difference. The tough part is the long hot summers. But I for one like the heat, and hate the cold, so it makes sense for me. If you dont like it here, then you can always move back. Sure its a huge risk on your business, but you can always build back. Market yourself and do quality work, and you will always have plenty of business. If you dont try it at least once, you will always regret it. Theres plenty of business here for everyone. 1 out of 4 people only live here a few months of the year, and another 1 out of 4 people are too old to mow.

OP
lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'm in St Petersburg right now. I'm not a native, and haven't spent a ton of time here. We are relocating and just bought a place in Tarpon Springs. Right now is snow bird season and the traffic is the worst of the year. That said, its not any worse then any other developed area imo. I'm from Topeka, Kansas, and the traffic reminds me a lot of KC. I have no interest in living in Tampa proper, but from St Petersburg up to Tarpon Springs all have lower then national averages for crime. Some areas well below average. New Port Richey area is above average in crime. I did lawn mowing part time back in Kansas, and continue to do so here. I see lots of comments about no money in mowing, but people say that about everywhere. Know how you want to live and set your prices accordingly. Dont waste your time on $20 yards, those exist everywhere. Florida isnt that expensive to live. In many ways its cheaper then Kansas, all in all, its a fairly similar cost of living. Real estate prices are the difference. The tough part is the long hot summers. But I for one like the heat, and hate the cold, so it makes sense for me. If you dont like it here, then you can always move back. Sure its a huge risk on your business, but you can always build back. Market yourself and do quality work, and you will always have plenty of business. If you dont try it at least once, you will always regret it. Theres plenty of business here for everyone. 1 out of 4 people only live here a few months of the year, and another 1 out of 4 people are too old to mow.
Thanks for your kind and helpful input? Are you familiar with central Florida, such as Winter Garden, Lakeland areas? These are more probable, as we are trying to avoid hurricanes. But I did see a business for sale in Melbourne.

Matt_T

LawnSite Member
Thanks for your kind and helpful input? Are you familiar with central Florida, such as Winter Garden, Lakeland areas? These are more probable, as we are trying to avoid hurricanes. But I did see a business for sale in Melbourne.
[/QUOTE
The Tampa Bay area is pretty big and those areas are on the opposite side of the metro area from me. I drive through Lakeland when driving to the Orlando airport. Thats the limit of my knowledge.
You can research historical hurricane paths. Tampa isn’t exactly a hot spot, and hasn’t been hit in 4 years. That said, it’s Florida and it will get hit eventually. To be honest, it’s not like those areas are hundreds of miles inland. Whatever hurricane hits Tampa is going to hit there too. Most damage from hurricanes comes from the flooding and wind, so make sure you are out of flood zones and low lying areas. Flood insurance can be ridiculously expensive, so do your research. For homes not in flood zones you can get a federal flood insurance for like $400-500 a year, which I would recommend. One advantage you do have if you live out there is faster evacuations. If you leave in a timely manner, you will have a head start on 2 million other people trying to drive away.

You can get some great deals on buying an existing business, especially if you want to full time. For me being part time, I didn’t feel like it was as necessary. My main business is investment properties and lawn mowing goes well with that.