Remedies for the dreaded "Velocity Plus Blow-out problem - any good ones?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Derwood, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Senior Member

There has always been some blowout since owning the 61" V+. I knew that was going to happen before getting it. I've never been overly bothered by it until last night. Not sure if it was because it's so dry, or what. I looked like freaking sasquatch-man about 10 times yesterday - just covered in clipping, dust, etc!!. Had to keep stopping and brushing off because stuff was going down my shorts! Took my glasses off and looked like the coal miner's daughter (from the shoulders up of course!)

I've heard some say lower the baffle and others say raise it. The manual says to adjust it according to your cutting height. I almost always cut at 4" and some times drop to 3.75. So according to the manual, I should have it where it is (I think).

Has anyone adjusted it so that the blowout issue is pretty much gone? If so, what height do you cut at and where is your front baffle set?

Thanks for any input here!

Derwood

2. M&M Mowing

M&M Mowing LawnSite Member

I have mine lowered down to the next to last setting. Very little blow out, it cuts great and discharges great.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Mulch kits and lower lift blades. No eating dirt, plus bare /thin spots do better as you are not picking up the topsoil and removing it , it's exactly opposite that , the thin spots get all the deck drop adding OM to those spots and free npk.

4. Derwood

I switched back to my Scag high lifts from the Oregon super high lifts (they stripe better) but blow out has been tough. I will try my medium lifts and see if there is some improvement. Thx for the suggestion (probably won't try a mulch kit)

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Lowering the front baffle will help a lot with both blow out and a better cut in the dry we have had up here this summer.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  6. FromUndaChz

FromUndaChz LawnSite Member
    Male, from Connecticut

Just lower the baffle one step from the lowest setting.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing that stops blowout is cutting tall green wet grass. Dry drought stricken short thin grass will blow out. Put dust goggles and mask on and let er rip. Lower rpm and removal of mulch plate and no lift blades helps.

8. Derwood

I backed off my throttle to about 3/4 maybe and it helped. But I didn't want to leave it there for too long because I think that lends itself to overheating doesn't it?

9. M&M Mowing

M&M Mowing LawnSite Member

Where is your front baffle set at?

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you mow at a high setting so you need to lower the baffle. i don't have much trouble with blowout down here mowing at 2 1/4"- 2 1/2".

FromUndaChz likes this.