• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

remove stuck wheel hub?

mowisme

LawnSite Senior Member
Trying to get these wheel hubs off the wheel motor on scag turf tiger. Is their a special hub puller? tried wedging a chisel on backside and banged on it with a bfh.. but just not giving? These are on turf tiger. I need hubs off to get mounting bolts out of wheel motors. I'm switching everything over to another chassis. Any suggestions welcomed and best puller for this- thanks

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Trying to get these wheel hubs off the wheel motor on scag turf tiger. Is their a special hub puller?

No, it's not special, just a Northern puller, you can get one from HF. Put it on, tighten, take a hammer, tap it with a hammer at 4 different sides, tighten 1/4 turn, tap it again with the hammer, repeat, repeat, ete. Leave the nut on, just a few thread so when it pops it will not fall on your toes.... :eek:

Air hammer better with a socket adapter.
This may take some time.....

IMG_1084.JPG

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
No, it's not special, just a Northern puller, you can get one from HF. Put it on, tighten, take a hammer, tap it with a hammer at 4 different sides, tighten 1/4 turn, tap it again with the hammer, repeat, repeat, ete. Leave the nut on, just a few thread so when it pops it will not fall on your toes.... :eek:

View attachment 412429
Those things are life savers!

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member

UpNorthMowing

LawnSite Fanatic

View attachment 412429
Just curious what adapter are you using ?

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Stupid question (and someone, please correct me if I'm wrong here), but in cars, if the wheel or rotor is stuck to the hub, one option is to loosen the lug nuts (and in this case the axle nut), and drive it around slowly. Perhaps over a speed bump or two. That usually breaks things free before you bust out the BFH.

prezek

LawnSite Senior Member
Stupid question (and someone, please correct me if I'm wrong here), but in cars, if the wheel or rotor is stuck to the hub, one option is to loosen the lug nuts (and in this case the axle nut), and drive it around slowly. Perhaps over a speed bump or two. That usually breaks things free before you bust out the BFH.
Eeh. I don’t see that helping. Your tire is only butting up to the face of that hub. Nothing is going to jar the hub loose. Or if you leave your lugs a little loose, you can screw up some threads and now are buying new studs. Just get a wheel puller. It’ll be off in no time.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Eeh. I don’t see that helping. Your tire is only butting up to the face of that hub. Nothing is going to jar the hub loose. Or if you leave your lugs a little loose, you can screw up some threads and now are buying new studs. Just get a wheel puller. It’ll be off in no time.
Ok, I had to look it up, and it was nothing like I was picturing (I didn't realize it was a keyed shaft). I see what you mean now.

Yeah, penetrating lube, puller, tapping around the circumference until it moves and not completely removing the axle nut are all I'd be focused on too.