Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shindy T270 that has run poorly from the start. My dealer couldn't fix because he was uneducated on the new carbs. The newer T270 has plug (Welch plug) over the high speed jet sothe consumer does not adjust the jet settings. After the plug was removed and the carburetor mixture adjusted, it ran like a scalded dog. Not all carburetors have adjustable jets, but I bet there are others with the same problem I had that are suffering through it. For my model you just drill a 1/8" hole into the brass plug. Just drill deeply enough to stick a small screw driver into it to twist it out. Voila three the adjustment screw is. I am told that many lawnmower also have Welch plugs which can be removed to adjust the fuel mixture.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I don't have a digital camera. Even if I did, all you would see is the exposed high speed jet adjustment needle because I threw the plug away. On the T270 the brass plug or cap is just below the low speed jet at the same location the old carburetor had a high speed jet. Makes sense since it is just the high speed jet cut off and capped to conceal. The brass cap is about 3/8" in diameter. You can't miss it. I wouldn't go removing the Welch plugs on any equipment unless I was sure there was an adjustable jet underneath.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We have done the same thing with 2 Homelite weed eaters we use and they run great when adjusted right. Otherwise they are weak and can't cut tall grass let alone a weed. Factory setting are really weak "California emmisions".

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Originally posted by mcambrose
After the plug was removed and the carburetor mixture adjusted, it ran like a scalded dog.
First off, thanks for the info. Secondly I just have to tell you that I had to re read your post several times because for some reason this above quote had me laughing so hard I lost my train of thought. Every now and then I read something that makes me laugh like that, I'm sure it wasn't that funny to everyone but I want to run out and tune my trimmer up to see that scalded dog run. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.