I'll tell you what I do. In my area, there are a lot of houses that back up to woods and as soon as they spot or get poision ivy from the yard -- they call a professional -- and I'm glad to help.
I know poison ivy can be a bush or a vine -- but around here it always a vine. I cut it off about 6 inches from the ground and dispose of the remanants and then plaster the remaining part of the vine with undilluted Glyosophate using a foam paintbrush.
As far as keeping yourself from breaking out in hives i use long sleeved clothes, gloves and a product called Ivy block. Then take a cold shower as soon as I get home. I've doen 1/2 dozen properties so far this year where I have had to remove quite a bit of poison ivy and I haven't had any reaction yet.