Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A gentleman I’ve worked for almost since my beginning is renovating the property in preparation to rent it. He asked me my thoughts and to price said thoughts. I walked around the backyard attempting to decide how long it might take to me to remove so much stuff but I was having a hard time fully wrapping my head around it all. Not the work of removing the above ground growth, it’s estimating my time and what the average company would charge.

I asked if he wanted the bulk of the roots out and he said price cutting flush and root mass removal. I mentioned that while I can certainly flush cut everything there may be surface roots visible that might not look that great. I mentioned that to remove the roots and prevent any regrowth would substantially increase the price.

• What type of machinery is needed to make mincemeat out of the roots of this growth with up to 1” diameter trunks?

I can deal with a few bigger ones with my farm jack, old chainsaw and sharp shovels. I’ve used an old plug in chainsaw to cut out small tree roots and shrubs from the ground before and it seems to work well enough. I also can borrow a sawzall if it’s an appropriate tool to cut a circle through the root mass. I’m also open to suggestions on better methods.

• Is it necessary to get the roots out so extensively or can mowing and string trimmer maintenance eventually kill everything. I’m not licensed to apply.

I can bring in hands if I decide to but I like to work alone and would have roughly until the new year and we don’t get frozen ground. My guess is 8-10 hours of hauling everything up to the street with just me working at a medium pace and all the miscellaneous debris bagged with my trusty hrx217 that I use for utility purposes as such.

• A good amount will have to be taken to the yard waste facility as this is way too much to just leave by the street. I could however do it in stages synchronized with the neighborhood’s perodical debris pickup.

I’ve said it a few times here and there but it’s worthwhile for me to say it again. I prefer to multiply my personal hourly to what an experienced and properly equipped outfits man hours would be. In other words I’m not going to charge for my inefficiency and lack of dump trailer and F350. If it takes me 15 hours to go from gate down to the last trip to the dump but an equipped guy can do start to finish in 7 hours then I want to base my pricing on the latter. If my hourly ends up a lot less then I’m used to when mowing it’s ok. The experience is valuable and in December it’s beautiful out and I’m barley working so I’m happy to get the job at a semi low to fair market price.

Anyone that’s kind enough to offer input on this long long post is really appreciated. If left to my own devices I’d charge around $900-$1,200 to flush cut everything and haul away what’s necessary. I don’t know how to even start pricing the below ground work, what equipment to rent or which agency to check on buried utilities.

Plant Terrestrial plant Twig Groundcover Flower

Plant Outdoor bench Botany Leaf Flower

Plant Grass Natural landscape Tree Shrub

Plant Groundcover Grass Tree Shrub

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Grass Evergreen

Plant Natural landscape Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tire Tree

Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Shrub

I also want to pitch him cleaning up this eyesore palm but haven’t tackled something nearly so in disrepair. I’m thinking $60 and try to keep it under an hour.

Car Tire Land vehicle Plant Wheel

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Different thought… change YOUR thoughts on it. (I’ve had to many times over my 30 years in this biz). How can you work with most of what is there already and make it look sharp and presentable? Outside the proverbial box thinking.
The homeowner wants everything out, I didn’t even question it or suggest any different routes. He wants a wide open grassy backyard, it doesn’t have to be graded and pristine, just clean to the fence. I’m dexterous but I remember some opps when learning my stander. I’m not going to pull out every last root by hand, just some of the bigger stuff. If it’s going to be ok leaving the smaller shrubs roots then I’ll tell him it’s not really necessary.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mini ex has about 10 minute learning curve to get the basics down. Won't be a pro at it, but no time like the present to gain experience.
This makes a lot of sense, I’m already planning on taking my time. That’s another reason I’m not overly concerned about hitting a high hourly. I expect to bs on lawnsite more than I’m actually working 😉

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, 10 minutes? y'all must have diesel in your blood.
My point is if I was renting a mini ex and had never run one before, I would likely not want to learn driving it off the trailer into a client's back yard to start digging up stuff right off the bat, while the client watches you from the deck. . But that's just me.. Have to learn somewhere.
In this case the homeowner lives up north and only the squirrels will be shaking their heads at me. There’s a 10’ gate to come and go through and all the work would be at the very worst 15’ from the house. He also has a swing set with like 10” diameter cement plugs which I would otherwise farm jack out.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So once we’re talking about rental equipment we’re going from a grand or so to between $2k to $3k. To rent the machine for a day $350-$400, picking up and returning the machine 2-3 hrs x hourly and actually cleaning out all the below dirt stuff. I was smart enough to tell him that to really get it clean it would be quite a bit more expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts