1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing clutch from Kohler/kawasaki

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FloridaClay, Jun 29, 2020.

1. FloridaClay

FloridaClay LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have a Toro that I need to remove the clutch. I took out the bolt that I thought held the pulley/clutch in place, but there's a large nut which is rounded with two straight sides. I wasn't expecting to encounter this nut.When I try to turn the nut off, it rotates the shaft. How do you get this nut off without rotating the shaft? Again, I was surprised as I thought the clutch would just slide off of the shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Look, the clutch DOES just slide off the crankshaft. It's just stuck. That " nut " is basically a thick washer with a step that fits in the bore. Not threaded, doesn't hold the clutch on.
    Ya may have to tap on the clutch while ya pull/ pry it off.
    Use a bit of never seeze when ya install the clutch.

3. OP
    OP
    FloridaClay

FloridaClay LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Ahhh, great information. I couldn’t tell if it was threaded or not. The opposite sides that are straight on the thick washer had me concerned it was threaded and thus, had to be turned off. I’ll work on it again today. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.