1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Removing epoxy from concrete

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by captbob, Oct 29, 2007.

1. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

I am doing a large Pressure job on a Govt. Facility appx 5000 sq ft . of sidewalk A roofing contractor epoxy sealed the brick walls and the spray gun he was using leaked bad I mean bad there are long spills about 2 inches wide and complete
    areas about 3-4 ft. around a very large building . The sealer used was a 2 part with A Zylene thinner . I do not have the Mfg. but it''s been down about 2 weeks. I have about 12 hours working with Pure Zylene and MTK. I can get the epoxy up with the Zy. but the stains will just not come up below the glue with
    what I have been using . I have a 16 hp honda with a gear drive Cat pump
    and Turbo tip, 4200 PSI at 4.6 GPM , Concrete is flying but the stain stays
    To say the least I am frustrated. I have to put the ZY. down and hit it with pressure before it evaporates about 15-20 seconds it took 4 hours of work for about a 40 foot of this mess just to remove the glue about 5-6 applications for each little stretch. Any help ?
    Thanks Capt Bob

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

1)put the washer away, blend/feather the stains with a angle grinder or...

2)forget the stains, finnish washing the entire walk normaly then just skim coat it with a concreat resurfacer.

3. George Mason

George Mason LawnSite Member

I have a customer - lawn - that did a paver patio himself over the winter. He has a few places where he got epoxy on the pavers and they are now stained.

What does this mean, to blend/feather the stains?

He asked how to get rid of them, and I told him I hadn't a clue but might have a friend that knows the answer... so friends, any other ideas or explanations?
    Thanks.

R.

4. 4LLAWNSINC

4LLAWNSINC LawnSite Member

yOU CAN RENT A diamond floor sander- my brother used one to remove old epooxy paint in a basement floor before tiling. I can't remember what exactly the tool was called but it was about 6" in diameter and worked very well.