1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Pampas Grass

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by wojo23323, Jun 16, 2003.

1. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone remomed pampas grass? What was the easiest way and how long did it take per clump? I have 4 to remove that are 3' in dia. each. Thanks.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

We cut them way down with hedge trimmers, then dig 'em out, or dig a little, and hook em up to a truck and yank 'em out. Wear long sleeves, gloves, and face protection.

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I recently removed one clump about the same size. It is very labor intensive. Took me a about an hour. I used a sharpshooter and cut out small sections. I charged $75.00.

4. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

I recently removed 4 large pampass grass plants. I cut some of the growth with a hedge trimmer (left most of it). Then cut the soil around it with a shovel. I attached one end of a tow rope to my mower, and made the other end into a neuse and put it around the plant near the ground. I then dug out a little around the front of the plant and slowly pulled until a tire would begin to slip. I would then dig around the plant some more and pull again until it came out.
    I removed all four in two hours 15 min. including cleanup.

Dix