Removing Perennial Rye from TTTF

slash8118

LawnSite Member
I had this in another forum but didn't get any responses, so let's try here:

I have a fairly new lawn which is about 90% tall fescue in Knoxville,TN. The other 10% is weeds and perennial rye. I know how to get rid of the weeds but not the rye.
I honestly have no idea how it got into my lawn in the first place, but that does not matter now.
I am 100% sure it is perennial and not annual. (i've heard annual will die in the summer heat)
Is there anything i can do? One thought i had was to round-up all the perennial rye next fall before doing a fall seeding with tall fescue.

thoughts/options/advice?

thanks

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
you sure it's perinnial rye? perinnial and fescue look so similar. they are very similar in characteristics and what may take out the rye may take out the fescue. If it is rye then it will slowly dye off with the heat. Most likely came from fall seeding. Did you use quality seed? Lots of storm mixes have rye as a filler

OP
S

slash8118

LawnSite Member
100% sure

I don't think they look similar though. The rye is quite the eyesore. It's shiny, much lighter green and grows twice as fast. Not to mention it's WAY "bunchier" than the fescue.

The lawn has been seeded from scratch and overseeded with lesco transition blend.

I'm hoping that the summer heat kills most of it off. Last year we had a very dry summer. I'm wondering if we have another one, if i should hold off on trying to water the fescue in hopes of killing the rye.

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Here in north Carolina perinnial rye is the same shade as fescue but the blade may be a little thinner. Annual rye is a lot lighter green and grows fast this time of year. If it is clumps and has a white seed head it's bluegrass

Post a pic and that may help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
Perennial Rye is very susseptible to heat related complexes that can wipe it out naturally. Grey leaf spot and pythium or just high temps in general. My guess is that you will see it decline this summer in your area.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Perennial rye has a bit of reddish purple color at the soil line. Annual rye is slightly bulbous and more distinct reddish purple color--also lighter green and shiny on the back of the leaf blade.
Watch out, some inexpensive blends include rye or AR.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
100% sure

I don't think they look similar though. The rye is quite the eyesore. It's shiny, much lighter green and grows twice as fast. Not to mention it's WAY "bunchier" than the fescue.

The lawn has been seeded from scratch and overseeded with lesco transition blend.

I'm hoping that the summer heat kills most of it off. Last year we had a very dry summer. I'm wondering if we have another one, if i should hold off on trying to water the fescue in hopes of killing the rye.
Look at the bag. Could be an annual rye that will die off in the heat. I had a big seeding I did in late fall where I added lots of annual rye for winter ground-cover. Same situation, wide blade and lime green. Once the summer hit it died out leaving behind the fescue/bluegrass blend.

And no perennial rye!

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
Could you use a wick and wipe the taller rye with gly? Someone on here had a tool they used that did this.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
Could you use a wick and wipe the taller rye with gly? Someone on here had a tool they used that did this.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just use nitrile gloves and a small sponge. I've tried the dish soap dispensers that hold the soap, but for small stuff, just a gloved hand and small sponge works.

No I will say that in my yard, I've had a couple of really small spots of a wide-blade grass, taller, and lime green that might be some weird Italian Rye or something, so it's possible that the original OP has something like that going on.