1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Straw From Newly Seeded Lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DSLND, Apr 4, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is having a great start to the season! I am but today the temperature went flying down to 28!! It was 68 yesterday, talk about a change. Well i was out taking estimates this afternoon and there was one of them where the guy had a large majority of his backyard reseeded last year after a local landscaping company tore everything up with a skid steer. He called me to ask me for a quote on removing the straw and i went a took a look at it and saw that i could rake it up, tarp it and go but that may take long. What other tool or method could i use to get this stuff up in a non time consuming matter. I was thinking either come in with me and my helper with tine rakes and rake it up or renting a tool. Would a de-thatcher work in this situation? Tips, ideas, and thoughts appreciated! Thanks! -Mitch-

2. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump............ -Mitch-

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I would not use a tine rake dethatcher to do it if the lawn is still new. It could damage it by ripping up the grass seedlings also.