Renaming Biz

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I am looking to take my biz to a LLC this year and want to rename my biz to take out my personal name. Doing this mainly so a distant sale of my business will be more attractive to potential buyers, plus the added protection of the LLC structure. I am looking for your thoughts on what goes into a good biz name for a small outdoor services business offering lawn maintenance, fert & weed control, landscaping, etc.

2. kinneberg lawn service

kinneberg lawn service LawnSite Member

My suggestion is try keep it simple, i have seen companies with long names difficult pronounce names. Take your location into account to, be sure to try keep part of old name if possible to keep any word of mouth adv going as well as your reputation.Going the LLC is an excellent idea. Best of luck,

3. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

In this industry, personal names companies can do just fine. Some of the biggest in my area are people names. Just add an llc to yours and your good to go.
    Change the name if you want, but I doubt it will make you more likely to succeed

4. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Senior Member

Pick a name that has an available domain name and it's not a million dollars and it's not too long and complicated. I named my spray company a compound word and was able to get the full name .com and also the name spelled out in a phone number.

hort101 likes this.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Bump need more thoughts on what goes in a good name. I really am wanting to get my personal name out of the biz name, if I need to sell the biz down the line it can only help to not have my name attached to the book of biz.

What goes in a good name, for a small 2-3 employee biz focused on quality, reliability and friendly service?

hort101 likes this.
  6. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Whats wrong with 'Quality Lawn & Landscape'?

7. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

A couple things:

When getting an LLC, there is no protection unless it's a multi member LLC. A single member LLC has the same protection as a sole prop. Maybe have your spouse be the other member?

Names can be tricky to find if your looking into a website- the domains may be taken. I'd suggest typing in a few names at www.godaddy.com and see what's available. It will also give you ideas on other names as you keep searching for one.

qualitylawnandlandscape.com is taken, but qualitylawnsandlandscape.com is available.

hort101 likes this.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Gotcha regarding liability protection. My main intent is actually to make my biz more saleable down the road. I carry a pretty hefty layer of biz insurance for the liability exposures so I am pretty confident there. Also carry no debt hence no debtors coming after me.

hort101 likes this.
  9. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with you. I just finished doing this (for the 2nd time). My big mistake the first time was that I made it too "location specific" and as the business grew, the name had to change.

Good luck with it!

hort101 likes this.
  10. Gecko Lawns

Gecko Lawns LawnSite Member

I think a good lawn care business name is easy to remember and spell. It needs to be available and not similar to anyone else’s name. It helps to have your main service in your name. Someone looking at your name should immediately know what you do.
    I also think that using your name or an area name can make it hard to sell or expand your business later on.
    A good business name is incredibly important and will help your business grow.