• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Rent or Buy a back-up???

Five Diamond Lawns

LawnSite Member
I own a 2 year old aerator and I'm putting about 25 hours a week on it this time a year. My scheduling is pretty tight with one employee scheduled 4 days a week with 6 ish lawns a day.

Minor breakdowns are killing me. It broke a belt = 2.5 hours to take it in and get repaired. The chain broke = down for 24 hours while a new one was ordered and so on.

My dilemma is do I buy a backup ( used aerators are impossible to find ) new $2400, or do I rent with every breakdown over 2 hours??????

RidgeCon

LawnSite Member
We went to rental shops and bought a rental unit from them as our backup. It is not as fast or big as our main one but sure works when new one breaks or after a period of rain when everyone is behind and we need to double up. I think I paid about $400 for it.

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
How many total aerations do you do for the year? Because if you are like doing 75-100+ I would without a doubt buy a new one.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
You took it into a dealer to have them change a belt? Also, I would find a manufacturers supply kind of place near you that you could purchase belts and chains from. They save us alot of money.

Andyinchville

LawnSite Senior Member
Buy a Back up....seems like you are using an aerator alot and would warrant it....I only aerate about 15 yards per year (all less than 1/4 acre)....and I have a back up
(I prefer to strictly mow but will do other things if necessary or if the customer wants it).

proenterprises

LawnSite Silver Member
it all comes down to how much time your going to be having this dense use of your machine. if you put 25 hrs only for a week, I would just rent. If you have 3,4 or 5 weeks of heavy use, than i would either buy a used rental machine, or bite the bullet and get a new one, that will be your primary, and this one will be your backup.

it will all depend on wether you have a constant volume of use to justify the new expense.

I would call united rentals (do you have those) or comparable rental companies and ask them about purchasing.

My dad needed to buy an aerial lift a couple years back, but didnt have the $$ for a new one, bought one from united, minor use, almost 60% of sticker price.

OP
F

Five Diamond Lawns

LawnSite Member
I look to use it a lot this season.
My goal is 25 hrs a week for 2 + months then at least the same in the fall.
The Aerator:
It's only just out of warranty that's why I took it in for the belt. It wasn't in that bad of shape so I thought something else must be wrong. I was correct as since replacing the belt I have now replaced the chain and now it looks like the sprocket needs replacing.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I hope this ends soon.

OP
F

Five Diamond Lawns

LawnSite Member
This one's only one year old!!!!
I'm not ready for it to be a back up yet.

Any Ideas out there for a inexpensive aerator (last resort back up) ??? I already have a pull behind for my rider but that will not get in a lot of backyards.