• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Renting a dumpster

FitzRightYardServices

LawnSite Senior Member
I have come to the conclusion that hauling away debris and making multiple runs to the dump is a pain in the butt. I have a 5x8 trailer and can pile on a ton of stuff...but then having to unload it after loading is just not worth the time anymore.

A local company charges $150 to rent a 1 yard dumpster for a week. My question is do I just charge the client the $150 or do I add more to it?

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
I have come to the conclusion that hauling away debris and making multiple runs to the dump is a pain in the butt. I have a 5x8 trailer and can pile on a ton of stuff...but then having to unload it after loading is just not worth the time anymore.

A local company charges $150 to rent a 1 yard dumpster for a week. My question is do I just charge the client the $150 or do I add more to it?
Are clients going to be ok with a dumpster sitting in their drive all week? Most people like having landscapers do stuff cause when we leave we take all the crap with us.
Not sure if you up charge the dumpster or not, I’m sure the pros will be here soon......

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
@Mowing monkey. is correct, usually a one of the problems i fee as well.

yes, charge them, you don’t work for free, and you’d have windshield time and disposal fees if you hauled it off.

a problem I had was the owner or neighbors wanted to throw stuff in “since it was there”. Usually old paint and chemicals or other hazardous waste! Spell that out to them.

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I only use dumpsters for when we are ripping out a bunch of concrete or rock and it’s too far to justify hauling it off. But I have a dump trailer so even that is rare. They don’t let you put yard waste in those though and I would never get a dumpster under 20 yards... 1 cubic yard is like a short bed truck