renting out dump trailer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jake the grass guy, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody on here renting out their dump trailer when they arent using it? ive heard of some guys dropping off their dump at a house or whatever, locking the hitch and chaining the tires and then picking it up at x time and dumping it. just curious if this is pretty common and if you have any reccomendations. i was thinking i would go to the dump get a list of items that arent allowed. probably charge x for x amount of days to maybe 2000lbs and anything over would be an extra x.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

#1 Ours gets used almost every day.
    #2 Asking for trouble and decrease in life expectancy.

3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Pass. Might let a friend borrow it, if i trust them enough with it

Cam15 likes this.
  4. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Friend borrowed my two year old dump trailer a few months back. Didn’t lock doors open when dumping. Needless to say, off to the welding shop it went. He paid. Fixed it to new. And i learned it’s cheaper to buy friends than dump trailers (just kidding.....kinda). But never again!

Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  5. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

No I would never do that you get some piece of crap contractor who would overload the hell out of it with tile and stuff like that. Nails in tires ect. Not worth it. Mine is used daily.

Madison Landscaping likes this.
  6. janniboy

janniboy LawnSite Member

Dito on the lent to a friend and left the doors unlocked when he dumped it. After paying the welding shop tons of money to fix it, I realized I could’ve bought two brand new doors from CAM for the same money. Our welding shop in town is kind of exclusive, not much competition . Now when he asks to borrow it I just donate my time, my truck and my trailer and do it myself. Just ask yourself how you treat rental equipment compared to your own equipment when your doing nasty jobs

Garrett1234 likes this.
  7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad idea. Nobody gives a poop about your trailer and it's not worth the effort.
    Let a friend borrow our new one many years ago and he went a ripped a driveway out and dropped concrete from 4 feet above the trailer floor.
    I wouldn't let anyone use our $11k pj!!

8. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

All the companies that have dump trailers specifically for rental use around here their trailers are beat to a pulp. Like customers take skid steers and slam the bucket down on the sides, set bonfires next to or in them, use as a handy place to spray paint, etc.
    My dump trailer has been on the road for 20+ years and about every scratch in it is from me, but its never been smashed into oblivion.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

Number 2 law of landscaping..... never, never lend or rent dump trucks. “I didn’t think anyone would notice me dumping a load of brush and trash on their property”
    Number 3 law of landscaping.......never, never lend or rent chain saws. “This chain saw is a POS, it won’t cut chain link fence”

Mark Oomkes and Mdirrigation like this.