Reoccurring solenoid shorts

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by erp2863, Dec 14, 2017.

1. erp2863

erp2863 LawnSite Member

I've got a customer that I have replaced solenoids on several valves, including the master several times over the past year. They are the cheap Weathermatic valves, which I know have crappy solenoids. Checked the power supply and output at the controller, everything looks normal.

Besides replacing the entire valve, what could be causing the repeated shorting of the solenoids?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Did you check your amperage for the circuit?

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Lightening, power surges.

4. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Gold Member

You answered your own question-cheap Weathermatic valves and crappy solenoids. Go to sprinklerwarehouse.com and buy as many as you need-I've had no issue with these:

Weathermatic Replacement Solenoid.png

Mike Leary and Wet_Boots like this.
  5. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

The weathermatic solenoid issue is well known however it’s been a while since then. Likely you are replacing the defective solenoids with more defective solenoids.

Isn’t there a buyback program for these or labor and parts weathermatic was doing for a while?

6. erp2863

erp2863 LawnSite Member

As far as I know I've been using new stock.

Did check amp draw and it was as expected. Had found the common and a couple of the valve wires without wirenuts in the dirt at the splice going into the garage with multi-strand, but cleaned that up last time I was out.

Will likely just replace the valves with PGV's. The Hunter solenoid is the one I find being replaced the least around here.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just swap out every last square solenoid with the new round one. Job done.

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

what he said

NC_Irrigator likes this.
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

After I switched WM solenoids to the versions with white wires, problems over.

NC_Irrigator likes this.
  10. erp2863

erp2863 LawnSite Member

I know for sure I've been using the ones with white wires. So I'm wondering what else would be causing this to continue to happen?