Repair facility ?s

SCAGTechGA

LawnSite Member
I am thinking about starting my own repair facility to provide services to landscape professionals only. What do you guys look for in a repair facility? Are you charged hourly rates or do you have fleet plans? Would you like for the facility to be a dealership as well? What are the most common problems you see with your current shop? Any other information about your over all facility that you like or would like to change would also be helpful. Thanks in advance for replies and input.

Crimson Lawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I dont really have any issues with my dealer. The only thing that hurts me, since Im small time, is the turn around during the season.
I dont think I would do a fleet maint. agreement. Most may not be able to let go with a piece of equipment for a repair for maybe a couple of hours sometimes.
A helpful thing may be to offer a short, cost effeceint rental til the repair is complete. That in its self maybe difficult to price and do.
Good techs, parts on hand and the tools to get the job done, plus a shop, thats alot of start up money.
Go find the Lawn guys in your area, talk to them, just remember some have loyalty to their dealers and may not change regardless if you offer cheaper prices.

I am thinking about starting my own repair facility to provide services to landscape professionals only. What do you guys look for in a repair facility? Are you charged hourly rates or do you have fleet plans? Would you like for the facility to be a dealership as well? What are the most common problems you see with your current shop? Any other information about your over all facility that you like or would like to change would also be helpful. Thanks in advance for replies and input.

GOT a friend who was mowing and started doing as you describe, he no longer mows but now has a very large mower dealership. it can be done.

OP
S

SCAGTechGA

LawnSite Member
Tools and a tech is not a problem. Personally I am bronze level for stihl, and have certs from briggs, echo and others. I think Im trying to target smaller companies maybe 3-4 trucks. The fleet plan that I would like to offer is a monthly payment of x amount of $ and that would cover the companies labor through out the year instead of a x amount per hour. And also during winter months of completely servicing equipment for upcoming season.

OP
S

SCAGTechGA

LawnSite Member
JB1...

I currently work for a SCAG, Shin, Echo dealer. They haven't been in business for more than 10 years and are pretty much taking a hold of our area. The downside is a lot of residential stuff comes in and I would like to focus on commercial customers only .

OP
S

SCAGTechGA

LawnSite Member
So turn around times seem to be the biggest issues I have heard from people in the field and online. Any other gripes and grumbles?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I hate it when I take anything in for repair, and I can't even get to talk to the tech, but instead have to hear second hand from the salesman what the problem is, or how long it'll take. FTF with the tech is much better IMO.

StihlMechanic

LawnSite Bronze Member
Tools and a tech is not a problem. Personally I am bronze level for stihl, and have certs from briggs, echo and others. I think Im trying to target smaller companies maybe 3-4 trucks. The fleet plan that I would like to offer is a monthly payment of x amount of $ and that would cover the companies labor through out the year instead of a x amount per hour. And also during winter months of completely servicing equipment for upcoming season.
How long have you been in the industry?

OP
S

SCAGTechGA

LawnSite Member
I have been in the small engine industry for about 5 years. Before I was a construction mechanic in the military and also an auto mechanic. I am well versed with different types of equipment just prefer smaller stuff due to simplicity and problems.