1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Repairing a RR tie retaining wall

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Keeran1, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Keeran1

Keeran1 LawnSite Member

i have a RR retaining wall that goes from about 1' to 5' H over the length of about maybe 80' or more. There's a spot where an 8' tie on the bottom ( not sure what is below that one) is twisting and splitting and causing a few above to start now bowing out a bit. Is there a way to "jack up" the ones above it, cut it out and replace as like they would do in the old days with an old timber foundation log? This ret wall has drainage strips that run right along the bottom of it and then is a concrete deck for a pool and hot tub. There are dead whatever you call them holding the wall then it leads to my yard beyond that. Some top RR ties are going to be replaced but the rest are fine as they've been power washed and sealed every few years as well presides being pressure treated and dipped in whatever they use to treat these things. Because these ties are staggered it'd be a huge job replacing the whole thing. This is my idea unless anyone else has others I'd really appreciate it.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

What about cutting a tie the height you need to take out, pull the one out halfway, pop a tie or a bottle jack in place etc.. if it's wood you can toenail a screw to keep in place temporarily while you repair, just an idea. No pics makes it tougher here, best of luck!

hort101 likes this.
  3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Pry bar and larger bar for leverage or to lift initially could go a long way, keep us posted

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Needpictures

5. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

Each wall is different in its construction. It really depends on how they tied the ties together. Sometimes they used nails,pegs,rebar, and expanded steel. Best way is to replace one at a time. We have reciprocating saws, go around the edges and cut the rebar, nails and whatever, usually you can pry them out with a pry bar or two. Where the battle occurs is putting the new ones in which they are slightly larger. You usually have to use a sledge hammer which has a tendency to lessen up the rest of the wall. I usually estimate 5 blades per tie and 2 man hours per tie to replace. Remember the disposal fee for the old tie. Remember ties come in two sizes yard ties are 6x8 and main track ties are 7x9. Turnout/switch ties are usually 7x9 but can be as long as 28 ft. Bridge ties can be any shape but usually 10 ft. Try to figure out what you need before you start because some sizes are rare to find. The really old walls have hand hewn ties so you could be search for those babies a long time

ltdlawn and hort101 like this.
  6. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

Caution. A retaining wall over 3' or 4' (can't remember which it is) is supposed to be designed by an engineer and built according to those plans for structural reasons.

If you go fooling around with an 8' high wall and it collapses, you could have big trouble on your hands.

If it's your own property, I guess you can do what you want so long as you never sell it. But if it was me, I'd hire a landscape company that knew what they were doing.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take a big chain saw and do vert cut on both sides and replace center section. Then figure way to tie it together......like steel plate on back side with lags screws.