Repairing Multi Strand

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I recently repaired 13 strand cut in a couple of places. Used WP wire nuts and then wrapped in heat shrink rated for direct burial. Felt good about it but time consuming. Just looking for different ideas

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
How do you? Say a completely cut line in the yard.
I commend you for always tossing out random scenarios for discussion Arthur!

I’d say the biggest issue being lack of verification of continuity and wire integrity, I’ve been bit by cutting a corner or two and once it’s all together it starts doing funny things.

I like one standard or2 ten inch boxes for the splices.

Regular wire nuts for testing and dry cons or Ace (my favorite) for final final.

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I commend you for always tossing out random scenarios for discussion Arthur!

I’d say the biggest issue being lack of verification of continuity and wire integrity, I’ve been bit by cutting a corner or two and once it’s all together it starts doing funny things.

I like one standard or2 ten inch boxes for the splices.

Regular wire nuts for testing and dry cons or Ace (my favorite) for final final.
Tested everything for sure before buttoning up. Wiring is the most difficult part of problem solving in irrigation

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
There used to be a "splice-box" pipe fitting, consisting of a hinged cap that would glue onto/into PVC pipe, so one could actually maintain surface access to a splice without using a valve box.

benhargreaves

LawnSite Member
There used to be a "splice-box" pipe fitting, consisting of a hinged cap that would glue onto/into PVC pipe, so one could actually maintain surface access to a splice without using a valve box.
Screw those things. Around here they used to be used as valve boxes. They are impossible to find without using a locator. Everytime a see one, I shed a tear.