1. Ask the Expert: Live Event with Koch - What's In The Bag?: March 22, 2018
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: March 22, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Repairing St Augustine yard

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Steve5389, Mar 10, 2018.

1. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Silver Member

Proper watering, HOC, and weed prevention are they keys to any turf type
  2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

If the lawn was a decent SA lawn and went down hill in a short time ask yourself why, which you've already more/less answered. I won't repeat what GD said I'll 2nd it.

You said the lawn was a good stand of SA not that long ago. I'm going to guess there is still some bits here and there. I've actually gotten a lawn back to SA in similar situations you've mentioned. I'll give you general advice.

If irrigation is lacking and needed which in Florida I'll assume it is, then fix that situation.

Mow at a higher height, while the Bermuda will grow also the SA will tend to spread through it sort of weaving it's way.

I would fertilize at about 1/2 lb. of N and K per month during the growing season. This is below the rate that is ideal for Bermuda

You will probably need some herbicide help but I won't recommend anything since you aren't an applicator and that might only confuse you. May want to seek a local pro for this.

You may want to plug the lawn with SA to hasten the process

Getting the lawn back to a good stand of SA won't happen overnight but it can be successful. I'll just say I've done it.
    Steve5389 likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

do it man! bermuda sucks! :laugh: