Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is appropriate for this forum.
I have a new Kubota ZD326 with only 35 hours. The spring on the tension pulley for the belts, broke. My local dealer gave me a new spring, but no advice on how to hook it up.
Is there a trick to this? I'm semi retired and not a spring chicken any more and don't have the horse power to stretch this spring to it's hook up points. I don't have room to use a screwdriver as a lever and I've tried some parachute cord to try and pull it......but this is a stout spring.
I thought about a come along and perhaps may resort to this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.....

·
Registered
686 Posts
First remove the belt from an 'easy to access' pulley THEN hook up the spring. Next pop the belt back on. Use a pry bar to ease the belt around the pulley again. KEEP THE FINGERS OUT OF THE TRANSACTION. I currently posess 7 finger tips and 2 thumb tips but not from an trick like this one. another story another time

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My ZTR isn't a Kabota, but it has two different springs to provide belt tension, and I assume the general design of all brands is similar. One spring is to tension the belts driving the pumps, and the other is in the deck to tension the belt(s) driving the blades. Which one are you referring to in your question?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It only has one spring. It is anchored on one end to a notched bar on the deck and attaches to a bar on the tension pulley on the other end. It's about 1 inch diameter and 8 inches long. It's a two belt system. Both belts run the same path on the same pulleys, side by side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope this is appropriate for this forum.
I have a new Kubota ZD326 with only 35 hours. The spring on the tension pulley for the belts, broke. My local dealer gave me a new spring, but no advice on how to hook it up.
Is there a trick to this? I'm semi retired and not a spring chicken any more and don't have the horse power to stretch this spring to it's hook up points. I don't have room to use a screwdriver as a lever and I've tried some parachute cord to try and pull it......but this is a stout spring.
I thought about a come along and perhaps may resort to this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.....
Look for a square 1/2" hole in the arm holding the pulley. Some brands have them if so then put a 1/2" breaker bar in the hole and it gives you leverage to move the arm. One guy at my local scag dealer this year has went through 4 springs so hope its not a mfg. problem.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sometimes, instead of trying screw drivers and pry bars, hook the spring on one end and use a thin piece of starter rope at the other end of the spring to stretch it and secure it. All depends how much room you have.
Good luck, Phil :usflag:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Quote from Vandervilt (Look for a square 1/2" hole in the arm holding the pulley. Some brands have them if so then put a 1/2" breaker bar in the hole and it gives you leverage to move the arm. One guy at my local scag dealer this year has went through 4 springs so hope its not a mfg. problem). Quote

Cub Tanks are like this. If you continue to have a problem ask the dealer's mechanic how to go about installing this spring.

Nosmo

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you continue to have a problem ask the dealer's mechanic how to go about installing this spring.

Nosmo
And since it has only 35 hours on it, ask him why the labor to replace the spring he gave you isn't also covered by the warranty.

Reactions: hort101

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And since it has only 35 hours on it, ask him why the labor to replace the spring he gave you isn't also covered by the warranty.
I wasn't going to drag my mower 30 miles for a spring. Little did I know how hard it was to replace.

I ended up disengaging the belts from one pulley and hooking the spring up. Then a friend of mine who could bench press a car, pushed the tension pulley while I put the belts back in place. I don't see this being less that a 2 person job.

I will look for any way to use a breaker bar.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I wasn't going to drag my mower 30 miles for a spring. Little did I know how hard it was to replace.

I ended up disengaging the belts from one pulley and hooking the spring up. Then a friend of mine who could bench press a car, pushed the tension pulley while I put the belts back in place. I don't see this being less that a 2 person job.

I will look for any way to use a breaker bar.
Nice going! By the way, in your #4 response, you said there is only one spring but you also mentioned the deck, so it must have been to tension the belt(s) driving the spindles for the blades. But if your machine is a ZTR, it must have two pumps (one for each wheel) and I suspect they are also driven by belts. For mine, those two belts are under the engine and between the wheels, and I have to jack the mower up in order to crawl under to see them. And the tension for those belts is maintained by another spring. So I do, in fact, have two springs on my machine and I wouldn't be surprised if yours does too. A belt jumped a pulley on mine one day, and the mower wouldn't move, so that's how I found out about it. I had to release the tension in that spring in order to put the belt back on the pulley. It didn't take much strength to do that, but it was very close quarters and kind of scary being under there, even with the mower being supported by jack stands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Doctordun, I know this is old but I had the same issue plus it was raining. Dealer gave me, hmm, simple enough. Dang, was I angry. Solution, without the correct and that is how I got here, search for that tool. I tie a rope to he spring hock, drove the mower next to a tree. Tie the rope to the drive, wiggle the mover still I got the hock next to the hole, install the hock holder and spin the nut, remove the rope. LOL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A small ratchet strap will draw the tension arm over nice and easy to help reinstall belts. Sometimes I have used a motorcycle tiedown strap to pre-load the arm if the ratchet strap fills up from moving the arm on a longer swing. As mentioned, many machines are easier putting the belt on arm pulley first, then convince it to go on an easier to reach final pulley.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.