Replace the ball?

Bo Bob

LawnSite Member
How often do you guys replace the ball for your hitch?

Just bought a new Gatormade trailer and pulling empty it bangs around some (like my old trailer did) and I thought maybe the tolerances on the ball was wore some.
I've had the same ball for 12-15 years possibly. I do grease it from time to time.

Just not wanting to damage my new trailer.

Last edited:

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
I had purchased a new trailer at the beginning of this season and was using an old ball. The first thing I noticed was that y latch on the hitch was not set properly. I had to tighten the nut that adjusts the spring for the latch that latches onto the the ball. My personal preference is to have at least a little resistance when you latch the hitch onto the ball, if it just falls over it i dont' feel that is tight enough.

Usually , in my case the ball wears on top center and top front. I went ahead and bought a brand new ball this year for the new trailer and adjusted that latch properly. You would be amazed how many trailer dealers do not adjust or set that latch like it should be.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you have the correct ball size? 2", 1 7/8"?

OP
B

Bo Bob

LawnSite Member
I had purchased a new trailer at the beginning of this season and was using an old ball. The first thing I noticed was that y latch on the hitch was not set properly. I had to tighten the nut that adjusts the spring for the latch that latches onto the the ball. My personal preference is to have at least a little resistance when you latch the hitch onto the ball, if it just falls over it i dont' feel that is tight enough.

Usually , in my case the ball wears on top center and top front. I went ahead and bought a brand new ball this year for the new trailer and adjusted that latch properly. You would be amazed how many trailer dealers do not adjust or set that latch like it should be.

Will give that a look.
Thanks

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you sure the noise is coming from the ball location and not where the hitch slides into the receiver? With the trailer unhooked grab hold of the piece that the ball attaches to and wiggle it back and forth and up and down. That may be the culprit of the noise. I don't like how much play they have. I have a complete brand new set up, both sides (receiver and ball bracket) and there is quite a bit of play.

OP
B

Bo Bob

LawnSite Member
Are you sure the noise is coming from the ball location and not where the hitch slides into the receiver? With the trailer unhooked grab hold of the piece that the ball attaches to and wiggle it back and forth and up and down. That may be the culprit of the noise. I don't like how much play they have. I have a complete brand new set up, both sides (receiver and ball bracket) and there is quite a bit of play.
Will give it a try this weekend.

Thanks all!

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
So you won't offer them????

Sorry I put it in the wrong location....
Sorry just being stubborn and over critical.

Likely the play is in the square tubing at the receiver. Use a hitch tightener. Basically a ubolt and a plate that stops the wobble. They're about 15 bucks.

Grease is good. I'd probably just replace the ball as a preventative anyway.

Feel lucky, mine is so rusted up it doesn't wobble anymore.