1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

replace trailer deck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by OSU 09, Feb 2, 2011.

1. OSU 09

OSU 09 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ok so my main trailer is an 18' diamondback car hauler with diamond plate floor (attached pic). It was a flat bed but we put some angle rails on it and gave it some fresh paint last year. I have been debating replacing the dimond plate with wood. Would the weight difference justify doing this. Weight is what I am really looking for, other than that the floor is in good shape.

Attached Files:

2. badbart

badbart LawnSite Member

Why? I don't think you would have a weight advantage over wood. And it won't rot!

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt that you will save any weight maybe even gain a little. Also the steel floor is better than a floor for most applications, I would only add some vertical e-track welded to the floor for some real handy tie downs and enjoy what looks like a nice well built trailer.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Leave it. Wood rots - wood adds weight, wood on that trailer wouldn't be cool!

5. lyndont

lyndont LawnSite Member

Leave it alone it looks good and will outlast wood
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. OSU 09

from Ohio

thanks for the fast responses everyone. i wasn't sure if there was a big weight difference between metal and wood or not.

7. lyndont

lyndont LawnSite Member

Are you from stillwater or ohio
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. OSU 09

from Ohio

i'm from northeast ohio