Replaced starter on Lazer Z LZX980KC606 and still doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Exmark fan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Exmark fan

Exmark fan LawnSite Senior Member

I replace the starter on my 60" Lazer with the Kohler big block 980cc carb engine yesterday and mower still won't turn over. What is the next thing to look for? I have put a starter, new battery, and new battery cables on all in the last 3 months.

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Probably check the ignition.
    Have you tried jumping directly to to the starter?

3. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Getting power at the signal wire to start?

BigFish likes this.
  4. Exmark fan

Mow- Daddy, the way the engine is configured I have to take the seat off to get to the starter. The only other way to get to the starter is to pull the engine. What is the best way to jump directly to the starter?

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

As dieselss mentioned, is the small wire that goes to the solenoid gettin power when ya hit the start switch ? Put a test light on it.

6. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

Don’t know this specific engine but basic diagnostics would include checking the Kill wire circuit, parking brake switch, oil pressure wire.

7. cody bishop

cody bishop LawnSite Member

Get a wiring diagram and check all the wiring from battery to starter and switch and all places that should be connected

8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Make sure that your hour meter is still showing the hours ..and that the brake .. clutch..and handle lever icons are active..the mower will start without sitting on the seat.
    If there is no display on the hour meter then there is no power going to it or the ignition switch...
    if so.. check /or replace the ignition switch..they are notorious for falling apart..
    Check the wires in the ignition switch connector ..the double red wire has a habit of breaking..
    Make sure the brake switch lever is fully depressing the switch..
    Check your fuses..
    Check the starter relay next to the battery.
    Recheck all the connections on the starter the battery cables...

9. Exmark fan

Update- I did a battery swap on Wednesday and the machine started just fine for me.

10. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Well it's a good thing you started at the end and worked your way backwards.

Walker56 and Breezmeister like this.