• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Replacement Engine for Wright Sentar FH541V-CS31-L

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
After 10 years and burning oil it locked up. Has anybody replaced an engine on 36" sentar? Does anybody know what the cs31-L after FH541V mean?

KIMG2521.JPG

I did goggle it but can't find one with CS31-L....not interested in rebuild. If I call Kaw will they be able to help? A wright guy used to hang around on lawnsite.

Last edited:
OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
It finally broke a rod... so we are going to put new engine on. The engine went about 1800hrs. The new crew couldn't understand that they needed to add oil every day. So they eventually got to walk when it broke.

Attachments

texasmike

LawnSite Member
Now that was really RARE. LOL It had to be a coincidence. I literally just made a post last night asking the same exact question for the same exact engine. Kawi 541v-BS31. I had no luck by the way. lol

What I found out was it's a 3 5/32" crank and Briggs makes a nice Vanguard in the same size, for a low cost, but you need a muffler.

Now I have a question for you ED Hess.

I'm a heavy equipment operator at a scrap yard and someone dropped off a Sentar 36 with the same exact engine. I bought it from the owner for $150. it looked like it had been setting up for 5+ years. All the fuel lines, fuel pump, etc. was cracked. I replaced it all today, sprayed starting fluid in, and it fired up. Problem is, it won't run without starting fluid, which tells me carb is bad because I replaced the whole fuel system.

I cannot find the carb. part number on this machine for god's sake, and have looked everywhere. Is yours visible??? If so, can you please give me the carb assy number??? The only ones I see on amazon, show a fuel solenoid, which mine does not have at the bottom.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
Now that was really RARE. LOL It had to be a coincidence. I literally just made a post last night asking the same exact question for the same exact engine. Kawi 541v-BS31. I had no luck by the way. lol

What I found out was it's a 3 5/32" crank and Briggs makes a nice Vanguard in the same size, for a low cost, but you need a muffler.

Now I have a question for you ED Hess.

I'm a heavy equipment operator at a scrap yard and someone dropped off a Sentar 36 with the same exact engine. I bought it from the owner for $150. it looked like it had been setting up for 5+ years. All the fuel lines, fuel pump, etc. was cracked. I replaced it all today, sprayed starting fluid in, and it fired up. Problem is, it won't run without starting fluid, which tells me carb is bad because I replaced the whole fuel system.

I cannot find the carb. part number on this machine for god's sake, and have looked everywhere. Is yours visible??? If so, can you please give me the carb assy number??? The only ones I see on amazon, show a fuel solenoid, which mine does not have at the bottom.
I seen your post.......when I go to shop tomorrow I will get info....McCoys found an engine that fits and comes with muffler $1200 and electric start. Are you sure the fuel selenoid is working?

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
The only ones I see on amazon, show a fuel solenoid, which mine does not have at the bottom.
Someone could have removed solenoid, pretty common.
Have you checked yer motor fer a wire hanging near carb ?
At any rate, jes order the carb that fits yer motor.
Then replace solenoid with yer old carb bowl screw. no big deal.

The solenoid does not control fuel entering carb.
Jes controls backfire when ya shut motor off.
It will run fine w/o solenoid.

texasmike

LawnSite Member
I seen your post.......when I go to shop tomorrow I will get info....McCoys found an engine that fits and comes with muffler $1200 and electric start. Are you sure the fuel selenoid is working?

If you don't mind sharing the new ENGINE MODEL AND SPEC #, as I'm sure I'll need it down the road that would be great.

Also, does your 36" Sentar have a solenoid or a standard bowl??? My RH 36" Sentar doesn't have a fuel solenoid, just the bowl. However, my 36" Fixed Deck does have a solenoid. Both have FH541V's just different spec codes.

Big Fish, thanks for that helpful tip. Learn something new everyday. So I have a brand new carb for the Fixed Deck with the solenoid fitting in the box. So if I'm understanding you right, as long as it fits the other machine, I can simply remove the bowl off the old and swap it onto the new and it should run fine?

Thanks for the info!