Replacing aeravator tines

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
Wow! Not going good, and procrastination was not a good idea, I procrastinated because I knew it was going to be a pain and not it's a reality.

I've been soaking the bolt/nut assembly in a mixture of acetone/tranny fluid to loosen its seizure for two days, adding more oil mixture twice a day .

My air impact wont take the tines loose, so I grabbed for my 3ft long breaker bar and a 2ft long pipe and it broke the breaker bar and wouldn't loosen any tines. I bought a new 3ft breaker bar and its bending the shaft of the bar but still not breaking any tines loose.

I've tried heating the "seat" area of the time to loosen its grip by expanding the metal. That didn't work. I heated the seat area for approx. 2 minutes with oxygen torch. Still not helping

Any advice from someone who has done this?

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Well, you didn't mention what brand or model.....Is the tine shaft on or off the machine, it would be easier if it was off. ...

You can try cutting the tine off with a 4 1/2 grinder, drill the bolt out or if you have the Oxy torch, cut it off with that......

Rick Engasser

LawnSite Member
An old school trick my dad taught me is to use an air chisel if you can get at the nut. Chisel a groove in the center of one of the flats, then angle the chisel to loosen the nut. Because you expand the nut first, it usually does the trick..

OP
Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
No it's normal threads. I got a few off....
Breezmeister...there is only one brand of Aeravator (1st products)

I went and bought a 1/2" ratchet set so I don't have issues with breaking or bending the breaker bar. I think I've got about 10-15 tines off so far.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member