Replacing Anti-Siphon Valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jeff7602, May 21, 2007.

  1. jeff7602

    jeff7602 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    Hey, I'm not a professional, but I couldn't find answers to my questions anywhere on the web, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

    I moved into a house with an old irrigation system. It only has three zones, and only two that I plan on using now. I replaced all of the heads and the system seems to run well. However the valves that are on are very old and leak. The ones that are on there are lawn genie valves model 711DLG. I bought a couple of rain bird apas-075 valves to replace them. When I took the first one out of the box I noticed that the inlet and outlet holes on the two valves are different distances apart. The lawn genie ones are 4 1/8" apart and the rain bird ones are 3" apart. Is there a different valve that I should have gotten that would be the same or will I have to adjust the pipes coming out of the ground somehow.

    Also, how do I take the old valves off? The inlet pipe is metal and the outlet pipe is pvc. What do I need to do?

    Thanks for any help you can give.
  2. Wesley's Lawn

    Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 211

    How about you take some pictures of what your discribing.
  3. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    Cut the outlet pipe and spin the valve off of the inlet pipe.

    Spin your new valve onto the inlet pipe, and then do whatever creative pipe fitting is needed to connect up the PVC side.

    Be carefull not to overtighten the female valve threads onto the male threads of the metal (galvinized?) pipe, Metal into plastic is usually not reccomended.
  4. jeff7602

    jeff7602 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

  5. Remote Pigtails

    Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 581

    Jeff I'm pretty sure you can still buy that valve. I'd get that same valve and install as DW suggests. I will usually go through the trouble of locating the same valve in order to get the pipes to line up.
  6. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,753

    You can't buy that particular valve, but you can get a current edition of that Lawn Genie (actually made by Irritrol) that has the same dimensions.
  7. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Or use PVC 90s to line up the outlet side. Dig it up and see what you have under the ground. You may be able to use a single 90 that would be hidden.
  8. gusbuster

    gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,932

    Brea is by Disney,Right?

    I don't know why nobody suggested this, but go down to O.S.H. get a repair kit. Easier and less work. Repair kit has the diaphragm which is what is most likely what is leaking. Replace and valve should be good as new. For the broken vent cap, should be available also at Orchards Supply. Your home depot may also have this valve repair kit also, though I know they concentrate more on orbit\watermast products.

    Or, if you want to go through the hassle of cutting the pvc, unscrew the old valve, LawnGine is sold at orchard supply hardware, home depot and ace hardware stores.
  9. sheshovel

    sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,112

    AhHA!! See there>Dirty?

    Brea, my old stomping grounds, I used to manage J&J liquor store in Brea, before I married. Is it still in business?
    Please, please, please do me a big favor,
    Go into the Harley shop there and tell the big huge guy with the grey beard that you met that girl who ran the liquor store and used to order his cases of Bud longnecks for him. The one who looked great on the back of his bike.
    Do me a big favor and tell him I still wear the dogtag he made me that says
    " I belong to * with a Y- Live to Ride-Ride to Live"
    Wear it on the zipper of my leather. Oh god what was his name?? He owns that shop in Brea I do know that. Oh great memories!
    Oh gosh that was 26 years ago, but he will remember me, no doubt about it!
    Thank you so much.
  10. Zsnark

    Zsnark LawnSite Member
    from SoCal
    Messages: 1

    Hi Earthpeople,

    I am a city kid (gonna be 69, so I'm using the term loosely); and I've recently been thrust into the fixer role for a fixer-upper.

    There appears to be an operational watering circuit on the front lawn. I have not found where the control box or thing is located. This is fed thru a Lawn Genie 711DLG. I would like to see if the sprinkler heads have water pressure. Eyeballing says it does. Can I override the solenoid valve to test it before I start "re-inventing the wheel" and cutting the PVC tubes.

    Any guidance would be appreciated. I am reasonably mechanically adept but I suspect there is a way to find out what I'm up against before I start hacking up pipes, etc.


    Al W:confused:

Share This Page