Replacing hydro pump question

CTS Lawn & Landscape

LawnSite Member
I'm replacing my left side hydro pump on my ZTR and have a question.... Do I really need to replace the wheel motor as well?? I took it in to have it looked at to see what the main culprit was to why i was loosing power and speed to left side and they diagnosed that it was the pump and that wheel motor was fine. But they told me it would cost over 1k for them to fix it and that would be replaced. Why replace motor if OK?? I'm handy enough to save the money on the labor and repair myself, if I have to buy motor I will, but don't want too. Of course new filter and fluid would be cycled through. What's your thoughts for those that have tackled this problem....

cwillic

LawnSite Member
I have never replaced a hydro pump or motor on a ztr, YET. I am sure I will sometime in the future. However, as someone who has worked in the hydrolics industry for many years in the past, I can tell you that there is no need to replace the wheel motor. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sounds like they are just trying to pad the job.

Good luck.

OP
CTS Lawn & Landscape

CTS Lawn & Landscape

LawnSite Member
Have you tried the simple stuff first, like bleeding the line, etc...
Yes. Even gone thru all the hoses and tightened, had a small leak in one connection to motor, but after tightening, it stopped. purged it beforehand too. In the reservoir the oil is smooth, not frothy like when air gets in the system.

the problem I'd have with that side is slower wheel speed compared to right side, slower response, and when it goes up hills lacks a lot of power. If too steep, I would get a grind sound and the handles would bounce back and forth. but as soon as I'd back off the handle and get back on it, it would be fine (minus the power).

OP
CTS Lawn & Landscape

CTS Lawn & Landscape

LawnSite Member
Filter was replaced beginning of last season. If filter was clogged I'd say both wheels would be as equally bad not just one since they both feed into that and oil reservoir

cwillic

LawnSite Member
That's true if you are mowing on a flat surface, climbing hills is a different matter. Hydraulics can do some strange things sometimes. When you had it checked, how did they check it? Were you there when it was done? I haven't done much research on ztr pumps yet, as I have not needed to, however, some pumps have a pressure relief valve built into them that can go bad and produce the symptoms you describe. Look up the specifications on the particular pump you have with Google and see what you have. Some pumps can be rebuilt with a rebuild kit, others cannot. What mower is this?

OP
CTS Lawn & Landscape

CTS Lawn & Landscape

LawnSite Member
They are actually one of few that don't try and nickel and dime you, so I do trust them. I know that that is something I'm well capable of fixing myself, so just saving my back pocket. They have something that they can hook up both pump and motor to a neutral machine they have to diagnose the problem better. That's how they found out, I wasn't there... too busy playing catch up when it was broken down earlier this summer and in getting repaired. It's a 2004 Lesco 60" Viper. Has over 1600 hrs on it so figured to just replace pump than rebuild.

cwillic

LawnSite Member
The only available rebuild parts that i can quickly find are seals. With that many hours on it, if it were me, I would just replace it. One thing to consider is, if you do not replace the motor when you replace the pump, then it can void the warranty on the pump. This is in the fine print when you order the pump, so be cautious on that. You can order a service manual for this pump online, and could probably order parts directly from the manufacturer, but probably not a good idea with that many hours on it.
Wish I could be more help. Good luck.

OP
CTS Lawn & Landscape

CTS Lawn & Landscape

LawnSite Member
Now that you mentioned the warranty part, I remember that's what they said as well, that if both are not replaced then warranty is void. I figure a really good flush, new filter, should be fine since wheel motor is fine as well. Thanks for your input!