Replacing Landscape Lighting prices

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by SouthernBlades, Jan 16, 2019.

1. SouthernBlades

SouthernBlades LawnSite Member

I have been working on a job the past couple afternoons. Customer had me replace around 60 landscape lights.
    All I had to do is cut the old light and splice the new ones and stick them in the ground. The current system is 15 years old so I’ve I’ve ran into a few issues so it’s talking a little longer the just cutting and splicing.
    Plus a 2 trips to Lowe’s.

I have a hourly rate for lawn maintenance but should this be higher or lower?
    Or have a price per light ?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I would have sold a complete rewire on something like that. Too many what ifs on existing wiring. A local supplier like site one should have better products/ pricing than Lowe's.

3. OP
    OP
    SouthernBlades

There was only around 4 lights that didn’t work in the whole system so didn’t really need a rewire and customer didn’t want it.
    Only thing I got from Lowe’s was 100ft of wire 4 bulbs and connectors because I ran out of the he had bought.
    He got all the lighting from VOLT.Com.

Just looking for some help on pricing this.
    This is my top paying maintenance customer and he tips every month.
    I feel if he hired another company to come in and do this they would charge him a arm and a leg. So I don’t want to be to low but also don’t want to stick him to hard because of how important of a customer he is to me.

4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

You first said "customer had me replace around 60 landscape lights."
    Did you mean bulbs? I am curious about what was wrong with the four fixtures that you replaced. Can't help much with pricing because like knox said I would be doing more to the system than you are. For you, why not just charge him at the same rate you do for other work. As we say in the landscape lighting business, when you touch a system, you now own ALL the liability for the whole system. So be careful.

5. knox gsl

Ain't that the truth. I had one years ago ask me to find and repair any issues. The labor cost more that the junk Malibu system and it still wouldn't work after we had a few rain events. I finally had to cut her off with it's not ever going to work right.

6. OP
    OP
    SouthernBlades

I replaced 60 fixtures all of them were working beside 4.
    The 4 That were not working we’re not getting power so I just ran a new wire a couple feet and got power from another light.

7. OP
    OP
    SouthernBlades

I can charge my normal rate I’m just trying to get info from someone who does a lot of lighting work. I would think someone would have a price per light ?
    If everything were to go right Not including fixing issues

8. knox gsl

On something like this I'm time and materials.

9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Same as knox.

10. TCSGuy

TCSGuy LawnSite Member

I won’t even touch junk from Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards, Walmart etc. Also, if the wire is so old or brittle, I won’t touch that either. Many times, it is more cost effective for my clients to just allow me to rewire and install new fixtures with a warranty vs my time and labor to find and fix an issue, just to have it happen to another fixture or the same light.

If he is a good customer, take your labor rate X’s the number of hours you worked and decide if that’s a decent amount. I charge NO LESS than $100.00 and hour to work on landscape lighting. And that is when I supply the products, which I charge more for to help make a profit. On the flip side, I have clients who spend thousands of dollars in a season. Those customers I always take into account the length they have been with me and the amount of money they spend when doing the bill.

knox gsl likes this.