Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I think I would have checked on resale value BEFORE buying a piece, but I think with Gehl it'll be decent, better than say Thomas or ScatTrak or something of that sort, but definately not as good as Case, Cat, Bobcat, etc..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Scag48 said:
I think I would have checked on resale value BEFORE buying a piece, but I think with Gehl it'll be decent, better than say Thomas or ScatTrak or something of that sort, but definately not as good as Case, Cat, Bobcat, etc..
I think you are right Scag48. I recently have done some resale value research for Cat, Bobcat, Gehl, Deere, New Hollands, ASV, and Takeuchi. Gehl seems to have the lowest amoug all of those brands, though I would agree that they would be better than Thomas.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would think.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
We ran Gehls before Caterpillar entered the market. Great machines. I think in order to answer your question accurately you need to research regional markets. Our Gehl dealer went under in our area, and then Cat came on strong. In Illinois where we lived, Gehl had numerous dealers who offered great support and a viable market. In an area where there is no dealer support you would have a hard time flipping any machine regardless of brand.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
JonHolland said:
Do all Gehl skids come with Deutz engines? While they are good engines, they have been a pain to get parts for (I have one in a trencher).
Yes, for the most part. The largest two (7610, 7810) use Perkins; the smallest few (smaller than 3935) use Yanmar; the middle range (4640, 4840, 5640, 6640) use the Deutz.

Of course, if you want a tough skid made by Gehl that doesn't use Deutz, you could always go with a Mustang... which now features Cummins power in its 2066, 2076, and 2086.

·
Registered
93 Posts
UNISCAPER said:
We ran Gehls before Caterpillar entered the market. Great machines. I think in order to answer your question accurately you need to research regional markets... In an area where there is no dealer support you would have a hard time flipping any machine regardless of brand.
You are right Uniscaper, region has a great deal to do with resale. People won't buy used machines if there is not a local dealer. The results I came up with were not from a specific region, but nationwide.

·
Registered
387 Posts
From the asking prices on Machinerytrader.com, it doesn't look like ines are doing too bad in the resale department.

I am demoing the Gehl CTL next week. Basically, from what I have heard, the Gehl CTL is simply a rebranded Takeuchi.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I had heard a rumor that Gehl was going to develop their own tracked machine. I haven't seen any evidence of this so it may have been just that. Takeuchi builds quality equipment you certainly could do worse than buying a Takeuchi built CTL.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
ksss said:
I had heard a rumor that Gehl was going to develop their own tracked machine. I haven't seen any evidence of this so it may have been just that. Takeuchi builds quality equipment you certainly could do worse than buying a Takeuchi built CTL.
I read the same thing in a magazine... I was actually expecting the new line to be at ConExpo. Guess I was mistaken.

iowacatman said:
Asking prices are not a very good indicator of resale value. If you are on machinery trader, check auction results instead.
Are you a Cat dealer or a Cat corporate guy?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Some Deere guy is going to have your head on a platter for saying that... :D A lot of the time, Deere makes the case that there would be a smaller buyer, saying in the market for one or two machines (smaller machines, not D11s and 793s and 988s), and Cat turned them down or didn't respond to phone calls.

Both of my Cat dealers -- Patten and Altorfer -- have been extremely helpful, but there may be those thorns somewhere... even if it's only one salesman and not the whole dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.