Researching for Dog Park Committee

KA707

LawnSite Member
Hi Wonderful Lawn Folks!
I have volunteered to research Ground Cover for our local dog park. Currently natural grass. On the day of our meeting to research our options to possibly change the ground cover, the glass (presumably the glass) caused a dog's paw a 1.5" cut, requiring staples and sutures.
Glass shards have been upwelling from the earth; generally believed it is from the properties former use as a general park/parking lot/dirt bike trail, respectively, from the 50's 70's and 80's. (As opposed to malicious and recent.)
If we were to rid the lawn of glass, what would I ask a potential lawn care professional to do for us? What would I expect a professional service to say are my options? What other questions should I ask? Should I post this in the other thread? What do YOU think? The more information the better, I am thanking you, in advance for your time and consideration. KeriAnn

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
How large is the property?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
This is a puzzle, Keri. Is the park Bermuda grass? Is the area full sun or partial shade? How are you going to remove the broken glass? Maybe mow short to discover where the glass is hiding. Remove whatever you can. Perhaps topdress with a quarter-inch layer of new soil. Then mow tall to protect the dog's feet.
You could kill it, plow it up and rake to remove the glass.
However, that would be a lot of work. Covering the residue with fresh soil--still a lot of work and expense.

Thicker grass is the best bet. More irrigation. More fertilizer would help.
I am not sure if you have top quality Bermuda--if not, better Bermuda is a good bet. Thicker--top quality variety.

And...at Fort Bragg, Bermuda goes dormant in winter, am I right? Discuss with a lawn company and arrange to overseed it with perennial (or annual) ryegrass during the winter months. This should maintain thickness--thereby reducing the chance of contact with the glass.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fort-bragg-dog-park-fort-bragg

Last edited:

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
If there is that much glass I'm not so sure you'll ever remove it all without removing the top 6"s or so of soil, refilling and installing sod/seed and irrigate. Glass, gravel and other debris has a tendency to work it's way to the surface. If there has only been one or two complaints of glass i would just ask the users to be aware of the problem and pick up any glass they see. I assume the park is posted "Use at own risk" or something similar.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
After looking at the pictures--I see a lot of bare soil with no grass. This is convenient to inspect every square foot. Rake the dirt to remove the glass and debris. Lots of work--but power equipment pulled behind a tractor might be a help. And therefore the ground would be prepared for Bermuda sod, or more likely, Bermuda seed--or if your local northern California climate is more suited to it--tall fescue (normally combined with 10 percent bluegrass to increase thickness). Be sure to use a tough, lateral-spread type of tall fescue--as it will recover from bare spots and heavy traffic better.
http://www.sroseed.com/Files/Files/SRO_USA/Tech_Sheets/Turfgrass/Tall_Fescue/Defiance_XRE_ts.pdf

Plenty of fertilizer and water will stimulate thick growth and rapid self-repair. Can you block off parts to allow the grass to recover? Rotate the traffic to give the grass a rest?
Can you dig a trench to bury the "residue". Maybe dig the trench 6 feet longer every day. Cover and add seed every day. Next year that will be the greenest spot. Or a long green line.

Last edited: