1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Reseeding fescue question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jimmy Bell, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Jimmy Bell

Jimmy Bell LawnSite Member

I reseeded last year with Kentucky 31. Due to heavy rains I seeded about 3 times, fertilized and hit it with Halts in Feb, summer fetilizer in June, Now, I have 70% crabgrass - I know, shoulda kept the Pre-M going and the crabgrass wouldn't be a problem now. Last Saturday I hit it real hard with Confederate tall fescue. I had cut the grass down to 2.5" (I use a Toro Z-Master Z255) and a friend aerated right before I seeded. We were supposed to get rain that night, we got a few drops. Now there's no rain in the 7 day forecast and I can't water the 3 acres I seeded! So, should I cut the grass anytime soon? What height? Lastly - did I screw up? Please help, oh yeah, located near Raleigh NC if that helps ya'll. Thanks

2. Jimmy Bell

69 looks and no replies - Thanks boys. It's been almost 2 weeks since I did my overseeding, the grass is starting to come up. We finally got a little rain . Now, since the young grass is about 1" high and the crabgrass is going brown - I have long shooters of fescue - 8" high! Is it OK to cut now? Should I bag it or just cut high and side discharge. BTW, I've still got 3 50lb bags of seed and I'm thinking about hitting the bare spots with a rake and seed again. Guess I bought a liitle too much this year.

3. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

I would mow the grass if needed. Don't bag. Mow it high about 3". you may lose a little seed. I would wait a couple of weeks to see. You also may want to mow at a lower RPM. Seed should be low on ground.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You sure it was crabgrass you were looking at or the kentucky 31?

5. Jimmy Bell

Crabgrass is looking bad, 2 weeks to the day and the new grass (Confederate blend fescue) is coming in nicely. I hit the bare spots again and plan on giving it a good dose of starter fertilizer next week. I plan on mowing next weekend - 4". This time I'm going to keep up my fertilizer and chemical apps. I didn't realize you could hit the crabgrass preventer more than once a year. Anybody want to share their program - I am all ears!