Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Do NOT till! Also, you only need topsoil if you have low area(s). You don't need it for topdressing for the seed. Slit seeding is your best bet...(and using glyphosate for the existing growth). Going rate here for that job would be around 200 bucks.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I'd suggest you kill the lawn first... Roundup two weeks before roto'ing it. On materials, I charge 2.5X's my cost. That means what the soil costs to have delivered, etc.

How will you top dress it? I take it you plan on using a roller on it as well?

I'm a solo... I'd figure on 8 hours labor, although it should come in at less than that... I'd go about 420 for labor, plus materials. Remember... labor is more than that... it's the overhead of your machines as well, including gas, insurance, etc.

Based on my material costs, I'd say around 750 to 800, depending on how many obstacles and other incidentals the job has.

You will learn as you go... in fact I'm still learning... if it's competitive situation, take that into account when you make your proposal.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Do NOT till! Also, you only need topsoil if you have low area(s). You don't need it for topdressing for the seed. Slit seeding is your best bet...(and using glyphosate for the existing growth). Going rate here for that job would be around 200 bucks.
Tilling... sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes it isn't! given the fact that 4-Seasons said he was bringing in two tons of top soil leads me to believe there is a serious soil problem, with some trash fill removal as part of the job... maybe a bad assumption on my part?

Most of my renovations invlolve lawns that are on lousy sandy, rocky soil, and includes removal of that trash fill.... in my area, usually due to sewer line installations right thru the middle of the front lawn... if it has to be completely releveled, and needs 2 tons of soil... well, I don't know how you can relevel without tilling. Then get 3 or 4 good inches of top soil over it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wow. I would imagine you are not getting too many of these jobs. Seriously the best stuff on the market to reseed would cost you $400 - $500 top of the line the Rolls Royce of the industry stuff 99% though will not pay for this nor can afford it but it is cheaper than sod. So $800??? WOW (again) what are you using this is the most I have ever heard of - EVER. Please share your program.

Back to reality.....

Besides reseeding what other soil ammendments are you going to use? Why 4,000 pounds of top soil. All you need for a COMPLETE reseed is -

1. Kill existing property - $10 - material cost
2. Slit seed @ 10lbs (if using fescue) per 1000 I use a turf revitilizer - $28
3. Top dress with FINISHED compost 1 to 1.5 yards should do it. - $25
4. To just set it over the edge (meaning to get unbelieavable results) I also add some mycorrhizae (.35 pounds of endo) and humus (40 pounds) before I top dress and some organic ferts (milogrante or other local source works great and is cheap). - $15
Total for all of this about $300 (materials cost $83 - so profit over $200 - if you dn't have to rent stuff) - for about 2 hours labor - solo.
5. Make sure the yard is irregated to come on 4 times a day for 10 mins per cycle @ 11 AM, 2 PM, 4 PM and 6 PM this is when the seed can dry out and it needs to stay moist. to do this they WILL need a timer. No timer I walk away because they will never water it properly and you will not get good results - unless it rains everyday!LOL
Heck I can even pregerminate the seed and have it growing in 2 days for $75 - save them a ton of water and get better germination rates.

$800 for 2000 sq ft was Kiril correct? Sorry I have to ask??? How is Badger?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. I would imagine you are not getting too many of these jobs. Seriously the best stuff on the market to reseed would cost you $400 - $500 top of the line the Rolls Royce of the industry stuff 99% though will not pay for this nor can afford it but it is cheaper than sod. So $800??? WOW (again) what are you using this is the most I have ever heard of - EVER. Please share your program.

Back to reality.....

Besides reseeding what other soil ammendments are you going to use? Why 4,000 pounds of top soil. All you need for a COMPLETE reseed is -

4. To just set it over the edge (meaning to get unbelieavable results) I also add some mycorrhizae (.35 pounds of endo) and humus (40 pounds) before I top dress and some organic ferts (milogrante or other local source works great and is cheap). - $15
Total for all of this about $300 (materials cost $83 - so profit over $200 - if you dn't have to rent stuff) - for about 2 hours labor - solo.
5. Make sure the yard is irregated to come on 4 times a day for 10 mins per cycle @ 11 AM, 2 PM, 4 PM and 6 PM this is when the seed can dry out and it needs to stay moist. to do this they WILL need a timer. No timer I walk away because they will never water it properly and you will not get good results - unless it rains everyday!LOL
Heck I can even pregerminate the seed and have it growing in 2 days for $75 - save them a ton of water and get better germination rates.

Thank you for all the information. Have a couple questions.
On what i have been reading you should only slit seed prexisting lawns. Am i killing the weeds and getting them up or am i leaving them?
Also can you give me a little insight on (mycorrhizae (.35 pounds of endo) and humus (40 pounds). Where can i get it and what is it?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Kill the weeds or (mostly Bermuda in my case) and just leave it. Kill it high (more leaf surface helps carry the poision to kill the roots) and then cut it low before slit seeding. Tilling breaks up the micro network in the soil and is not good as it breaks things up and cuts he roots you are trying to kill into tiny pieces which can multimply your problem 1000 fold (especially with Bermuda).

The easy way to use myco is buy a seed that has been innoculated already wit it - Pennington Smart Seed. You can buy it in bulk at www.mycorrhizae.com, all you questions about myco can be answered there too.
In terms of humus there are several suppliers around the country - google search it or try some local garden centers as shipping will kill you - I bring in many tons to keep shipping costs down - in many cases the shipping will cost more than the humus.
Myco - is a fungus that invades the root and spread a hyphi network through the soil expanding the grass roots ability to to bring in nutrients and water and it also changes the soil chemistry by it's secretion of globulin.
Humus - is the electrical network of the soil, it houses the microbes and is the structure of the soil and helps to hold double its weight in water. The soil revolves around its humus content and to have humus you need lots of organic matter but to quick fix add OM and humus. Waiting on the OM to turn into humus can take many years.
Spend more time on the organic side to learn more....

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Back to reality.....

When I do these sewer line renovations, I have to remove about 6"s of trash fill, which is generally about 40 to 50 cubic feet of sand and rock. (After killing that part of the lawn with Roundup) I often have to till the area, just to get it level and drain properly. Then I bring in about 50 cu ft of top soil and compost. Re-level, seed, and top dress. I get $500 for that job... for 2k, I would go about $800.

I had this same issue on my front lawn... years of amendments and over seeding never worked. It was always infested with crabbgrass, no matter what I did. So... I did this reno on my front lawn, and got 1 more this spring just like it, and have 4 more to do in September. The results got me those jobs... went from a lousy, sandy crabbgrass infested 8 foot wide strip to one of the best lawns in town.

I tried... and am now more convinced than ever... trying to put band aids on trash soil is a waste of time and money. Getting rid of trash fill is expensive. I'm about to sell 2 more of these jobs too... The sand is so pure, I may start to put it through a grader myself and resell it. Then... I'm left with a ton or so of rocks to get rid of.

These "over the sewer line" renovations... are labor intensive.

Badger is fine... it's the other mutt we have... Thursday evening, it turns out she had a sprained knee... and started to fall down the backyard steps... I jumped up, with one leg half asleep, picked her up and promptly fell on my face... fell on the steps... ankle too swollen to get a shoe on it today, and purple from the pinky toe to halfway up my shin. My knees bled for almost an hour. It didn't help that I had to work yesterday... I hope I can get my boot on by Monday...

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Back to reality.....

When I do these sewer line renovations, I have to remove about 6"s of trash fill, which is generally about 40 to 50 cubic feet of sand and rock. (After killing that part of the lawn with Roundup) I often have to till the area, just to get it level and drain properly. Then I bring in about 50 cu ft of top soil and compost. Re-level, seed, and top dress. I get $500 for that job... for 2k, I would go about $800.

I had this same issue on my front lawn... years of amendments and over seeding never worked. It was always infested with crabbgrass, no matter what I did. So... I did this reno on my front lawn, and got 1 more this spring just like it, and have 4 more to do in September. The results got me those jobs... went from a lousy, sandy crabbgrass infested 8 foot wide strip to one of the best lawns in town.

I tried... and am now more convinced than ever... trying to put band aids on trash soil is a waste of time and money. Getting rid of trash fill is expensive. I'm about to sell 2 more of these jobs too... The sand is so pure, I may start to put it through a grader myself and resell it. Then... I'm left with a ton or so of rocks to get rid of.

These "over the sewer line" renovations... are labor intensive.

Badger is fine... it's the other mutt we have... Thursday evening, it turns out she had a sprained knee... and started to fall down the backyard steps... I jumped up, with one leg half asleep, picked her up and promptly fell on my face... fell on the steps... ankle too swollen to get a shoe on it today, and purple from the pinky toe to halfway up my shin. My knees bled for almost an hour. It didn't help that I had to work yesterday... I hope I can get my boot on by Monday...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yes I can see adding sewer line fixes, top soil, finish grading, etc could be well over $800 to even $1000. Finish grading is an art. I have some experience using a bucket and harley rake and I'm looking at a Dingo purchase in the next 2 years. There is some big money in great grading! then I can get a Aeravator for it - then - watch out! :cool2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.