1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnstar, Apr 23, 2000.

1. GrassMaster

GrassMaster Senior Member

Hello Lawnstar:<p>Cutntrim is absolutely right. Have a agreement with them by the month.<p>I would never dream of cutting them as they thought it was needed. If so you would starve to death. They say I don't think it needs cutting this week. You are providing them a guarenteed service & they should pay for it.<p>I put up with that crap my first year in business, but after that I only did a few with the understanding that if it was bad I charged more & it was left up to me how much.<br>They were a very select few that were hand picked & were good as gold.<p>The smart person tells them before he cuts & if any boofing tell them that you got 20 more waiting on you now that are year rounders & you just go cut on a regular basis. They will respect you more! <p>Get them on a scheduled cut every 7, 10, or 14 days. Personally I didn't like the once a weekers, but I did them all the same but NO FRIDAY CUTS, no way.<p>Yes, no matter what I liked the 10 day people the best, it's very hard for them to keep up with you. So one or 2 days early or late they never know & your ahead of the ball game!<p><p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I just don't understand how anyone can really go longer than 7 days without a cut. Here in the Northeast after 7 days the lawns have grown to the extent if you waited any longer you'd be raking and bagging. Of course this all ends come July when the rains end and the heat starts, but I say No Way to anything more than weekly. Actually I tell the customer I will decide if it needs cutting. If it doesn't need it I won't cut it. Heck, if I don't have to cut it I can get other work done that is backing up. Also, I have been burned too many times taking their word that it doesn't need cut then show up the next week to find it 6-8&quot; high.

3. OP
    OP
    Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Thanks to each one who responded. I think charging by the month is a great idea. If they come out and want to skip a week, fine.<br>You will still collect the same monthly fee.<br>I tell my customers on the front end that I have a weekly lawn service. I work by a schedule and try not to deviate from that schedule unless it rains. I reserve the right to decide when it needs mowing or not.<br>However, the only problem with this is some of my customers only hear what they want to hear. Nobody understands anything until you put it in terms of money, then EVERYONE understands. I used to give my customers who did not fertilize and water the option of once a week or once every two weeks. A few years ago I decided to go with only a weekly service for everyone. You just burn your equipment up.<p>To me it's more than just &quot;the grass doesn't need mowing.&quot; You blow off walk ways, driveways, pick up leaves and debris off the lawn, sharpen the edged along the driveway and sidewalk etc. It just looks better on a weekly basis. That's just my opinion.<p>Lawnstar

4. OP
    OP
    Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Hello GrassMaster:<br> <br>You said, &quot;you are providing them a guarenteed service and they should pay for it.&quot; Your absolutely right. I've never thought of it that way.<p>Thanks,<br>Lawnstar

5. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

Yeah, we have it bad too. We mow my mother and grandmothers yards. They are both over 5 acres and my mothers back yard is two acres straight down to the lake. She knows that we have a ton of commercial accounts so she hesitates to call and ask me if we can mow it. I try to keep her and my grandmother on a bi-monthly schedule but even then they can't tell if it needs to be cut. The bad part is that they both live over 20 miles from me, in either direction. argh. At least they pay for their services (is that wrong?)

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow mom's grass for free but it takes me about 10 minutes and she's right around the corner from a couple of accounts. Don't worry about charging family (especially anything over an acre)

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I do my folks 1 acre lawn for free every week but I also do the neighbors on either side. They pay, BTW.<p>Bill

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Charge by the hour.It will eliminate some of the free-bee stuff that some customers are always looking for and if a customer thinks they are going to save a few bucks by skipping a week then next time when it takes you longer you still make the money.I have some retired folks that don't use fertilizer or lime and just want to keep it mowed.Charging by the hour has incouraged them to be more weekly.