Residential lawn maintenance pricing template

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by WarriorLandscaping, Mar 28, 2017.

1. WarriorLandscaping

WarriorLandscaping LawnSite Member
    Male

Hey fella's

I'm in my second full-time year and I'm curious as to your approach to pricing out seasonal contracts for residential clients.

Now obviously this can depend on a number of factors such as property size, lawn and garden specs, customer requirements and so forth..

But ideally, do you use a general template and adjust accordingly to your client's needs?

For example,

April - November is 7 months, 31 weeks,

I've designed 3 packages, Gold and Silver, and bronze.

Gold : Starting at $1400 for the season up-front or $200 per month + HST, includes weekly cut services, and 2 hours of gardening per month, or 30 minutes per week on any gardens and so on. Includes a Spring overseed and fertilizer if a contract is signed.
    Silver: Starting at $700 for the season or $100 per month + HST , includes biweekly cuts, and 1 hour of gardening per month or 30 minutes per Biweekly. Includes a Spring overseed and fertilizer if a contract is signed.
    Bronze: Pay as you go. $80 per hour for lawn mowing services.
    Small home: 15 - 30 minutes
    Medium home: 30 - 45 minutes
    Large home: 45 minutes to 60 minutes.

Any other service for these packages requires an estimate, such as Spring / Fall cleanup's, aeration, garden projects and so forth..

The previous year I would provide an initial estimate and invoice after each service. This year I would like to be more professional.

Thanks guys

2. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

In my short experience getting seasonal contracts/renewals from residential properties is very difficult. Homeowner's don't like to lock-themselves in to a 31 week season....they only look ahead maybe 4-5weeks in their brain.... The only exception to this is to have a solid understanding of each customer and write each contract tailored to the client's specific needs.......In which case your going away from your cookie cutter 3-tier approach....

Reading your gold/silver/bronze three tier synapsis I see what your trying to accomplish, but the clients are going to be over loaded with choices. This is assuming you have "gardening" laid out to the specific task as a marketing approach to "upsell" some common services

I have had success depending on the customer offering bi-weekly or weekly mowing price as your "standard" (blow/mow & go) ....and then a monthly "saver pack" which you market towards your one stop shop property service (mow/blow/weed control).

For example if an on call client is $35/cut (10-12) day cycle between mowings) then I would market them to $125 prepaid monthly service with the scope of work resting on weather capabilities. This should reduce equipment wear and tear by not having to cutting tall grass, allows flexibility in your scheduling, you got the money upfront, and the client has a more consistent looking lawn...

HOWEVER THE ABOVE applies nicely to my pricing structure because I flat out charge and extra $10 for every inch of grass over 5" tall. Thus further enticing them to have a consistent service agreement, but I tailor that agreement to each client depending on property need(s).

3. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

the other pricing structure approach is to just know what you want to make on the client each month and then tailor that need from a profit stand point to the client....

4. WarriorLandscaping

Male

Hey Rockbridge!

I appreciate your feedback and taking your time to respond to my post.

I will consider the points you have mentioned.

I will stick with my template for the time being as I have learned from this past snow season that agreements (don't like to call them contracts) and month to month payment plans can be a great addition to revenue streams so long as customer service and proper communication are prevalent. I didn't miss a single payment from 17 clients in my first snow run which is a good thing! Only snowed about 6 snowfalls from November until now.

My template is highly customizable for customers so I can accurately assess their property and provide an estimate for however long they want service, whether it be 1 month, 3 months or the whole season.

I think including a pay as you go service in addition to the packages will help customers make a choice that suits their needs.

The past few seasons I have been all pay per service which has been okay, but I have run into pitfalls with clients such as,

1. Avoiding scheduled cuts, ie waiting for the grass to get super long then call you
    2. Blaming us for an under-watered, brown, unkept lawn, etc.
    3. Inconsistent income

I am confident that packages and a pricing template will weed out, (pun intended) the walk by lower end clients from the higher end higher income clients who desire a well-kept property all season who don't mind paying for it.

Talk soon!

5. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Ok great glad I made you thing outside the box.

I'm pretty sure we are on the same page trying to facilitate the same outcome from our clients.

Good luck

6. WarriorLandscaping

Male

Yes sir, I will keep you updated on my progress,

( as it starts snowing here today, fml )

Lol good luck this Spring.

7. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Senior Member
    from GSO NC

I can tell ya right now if you tell a customer that your going to charge them $80 per hour. They are going to laugh right in your face. Then tell you to get lost. The only place that may fly is in Beverly Hills CA

Green Technician likes this.
  8. WarriorLandscaping

Male

Thanks for your input GSO!

From my experience that isn't the case when you provide a timing scale for their property. The way I charge per service last season was baseonff that rate, I just didn't tell customers.

A house taking 30 minutes to service would cost them $40 + tax, nothing wrong with that.

If you and a helper take an hour to service a property what do you think you would charge?

9. WarriorLandscaping

Male

But I do agree a customer can freak out when they see that rate, so maybe its best I not include it on the estimate, so instead pay as you go would look like:

Paid after each service.

Average mowing times:

Small lawn - 15 -30 mins
    ( $20 - $40 )

Medium lawn - 30 - 45 mins

($40 - $60 )

Large lawn - 60 - 75 mins

($80 - $100 )

10. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Senior Member
    from GSO NC

How about this guide

1/4 acre $ 35
    1/3 acre $ 45
    1/2 acre $ 55
    3/4 acre $ 65
    1.0 acre $ 75

I'm loosely based on this! Prices may vary due to terrain and how much trimming is needed. Or how overgrown it is. But if it's a Mo/blo/go. This is how I price.