Residential mower size?

Mowrite92

LawnSite Member
I’m planning on starting my mowing business in the spring of 2020. I currently have a 62” zmaster that I use in my property. My question is will it be to Big for residential use? I plan on picking up a 48” walk behind with a catcher and a 36” to get through gates so I’m not limited on work. What do you guys think about my big zero turn if I use it as much as I can on property’s with out fences and what not? Eventually once I get going I want to sell it and buy a 52” stander of some sort. Let’s hear some thoughts.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
All depends on what your area is. Some places residential is so tight ontop of each other you can't go bigger then a 21" push mower. Other places it's all open multi acres.
Nobody can answer this besides you.

OP
M

Mowrite92

LawnSite Member
That was my thought process, and that why I wanted to use my 62 mainly and have the 48 as a back up and a 36 to get through gates and anything smaller I’d just turn down the work honestly.l as I work full time already. I’m gonna have a 7x16 enclosed to so I’ll have the room for a couple mowers. Just kinda curious what homeowners thing about using a bigger mower and if it’s a problem with them.

bluetruck

LawnSite Senior Member
we use 52", most properties are in the 1/4 acre range upto a couple. i personally wouldnt go much wider, scalping or digging the corner of the deck into the ground becomes an issue if they arent flat lawns. also have a 36" for gated or tight areas. most customers wont care what you use IF you do a proper good job and dont tear up the lawn.

PlowKing

LawnSite Member
we use 52", most properties are in the 1/4 acre range upto a couple. i personally wouldnt go much wider, scalping or digging the corner of the deck into the ground becomes an issue if they arent flat lawns. also have a 36" for gated or tight areas. most customers wont care what you use IF you do a proper good job and dont tear up the lawn.
I agree, wouldn’t go any bigger than 52 inch for the reasons you stated but I would definitely recommend some 21 inch push mower‘s for smaller areas. They leave nicer stripes if the areas are small.

Kevin Steber

LawnSite Member
Personally I would add the 36" to your arsenal and skip the 48". Buy a stand on aerator instead and cash in on some aerations and over-seedings.

Brucey

LawnSite Senior Member
I would just get the 36 stander to begin with, to add to the 62. Ive got a 36 and 60 ztr and it covers the majority of lawns. However I am looking for prob a 48 walk behind next for steep slopes where the stander and ztr aren't suited. Had to decline a bid last week due to some crazy steepness.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
I’m planning on starting my mowing business in the spring of 2020. I currently have a 62” zmaster that I use in my property. My question is will it be to Big for residential use? I plan on picking up a 48” walk behind with a catcher and a 36” to get through gates so I’m not limited on work. What do you guys think about my big zero turn if I use it as much as I can on property’s with out fences and what not? Eventually once I get going I want to sell it and buy a 52” stander of some sort. Let’s hear some thoughts.
Depends on where you live and the the size of properties that you do.
If you already have a 62", I would save that for large properties, and do everything else with a 21"

I don't own anything but trim mowers at this point because if you're doing in town properties, most can be done or will have to be done with a 21" in a lot of areas. Only you will know that though.

Are you going to have an employee or helper at some point? Another factor in this equation is that a lot of people don't realize how fast you can mow a decent size yard (1/4 acre) with two trim mowers going at the same time.

I would say to save your money, and pick up a commercial Honda HRC trim mower for $1200 or a Semipro HRX for $750 new with the warranty. Then I would try to find used professional Honda for a back up.

Don't go drop 5k on a commercial walk behind unless you have a bunch of commercial accounts lined up. It's unnecessary debt, and one of the biggest mistakes in this industry for people just starting out.