Residential mowing

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Jh87, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:08 AM.

1. Jh87

Jh87 LawnSite Member

I’m considering buying a residential zero turn mower to manage some properties my father owns. My question is, if I buy something like https://sleequipment.com/husqvarna-...er-briggs-z254.html#product_tabs_askit_tabbed would it be adequate for a startup residential lawn care business? I’d be going through all the appropriate avenues for licensing and insurance. I’d also be taking some educational courses and learning as much as I can about the business.

I know it’s competitive here in Florida, but since I’d have the equipment already for managing the rental properties and I have other means of income I’m not in any kind of rush to make a business profitable. My only concerns are that the mower would not be durable enough for heavy use. I don’t want to spend 10,000 dollars on a commercial zero turn for a start up that may or may not pan out.

I do architectural drafting and home inspections, so this would also help to meet potential future clients.

Thanks for your help

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

How many properties does you father have that youll be managing?

3. OP
    OP
    Jh87

Jh87 LawnSite Member

Just 3 for the time being. About 4 acres worth of grass to mow weekly. They’re all within a mile of each other.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  4. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Member

If you can I would get some thing with ZT2800 hydros. $3000 +/-
    Raptor SD, Arians Ikon XL, Snapper, Bad Boy, There's a crap load of them out there.

I would not hesitate to buy used with low hours under 100hrs would be great and they are out there if you look. Also wait for season ending sales on new..

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Jh87

Jh87 LawnSite Member

I’ll look into used mowers, thanks. I don’t know if we have those kind of sales here as mowing is year round. I’m going to go talk to a local shop tomorrow to see if they have anything used in my price range. The lowest hours I’ve found on Craigslist was 500 and some change on a bad boy.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. Cam15

What about a used walk behind with a sulky? You'll get more bang for your buck.

7. OP
    OP
    Jh87

Jh87 LawnSite Member

I have no preference for the make, model, or type of mower that I buy. I want whatever will get the job done reliably at a fair price and hopefully last for a few years.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. Cam15

How about somthing like this? It's a bit more but you'll have this thing for about ever.

9. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

What is this??? It didn't show up

Cam15 likes this.
  10. Cam15