1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Residential vs Commercial Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimmbo407, Jun 21, 2005.

1. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I have been in the business for only two years. Right now I mow only residential properties with a 36 Ex-mark Metro. I want to upgrade and start bidding on commercial property for the next season and have some questions.
    * What types of things should I have in a contract thats different from residential customers?
    * How much insurance should I have?
    * How much does appearance help IE: uniforms, enclosed trailers, equipment cleanliness?
    * And most importantly how do I price? The same as residential (I try to get $40.00/man hour.) or do I try for more and have a residential price list and a commercial price list?

I just don't know if paying for new bigger equipment and possibly hiring employees will be worth it or if I should just stay a one man show with small accounts.

Thanks for any input anyone has. :)

2. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

I also have a 36 metro. I have 3 commercial accounts, with one of them being quite large. The large one takes me about an hour and 15 min.(I am a solo bus.) and I charge $75, which is pretty good. The other two take me about 20 min a peice and I get $25 a peice. I do not have a "uniform" as of yet, but I try to keep my equipment and myself relatively clean. I am also going to invest in a new 54 lesco wb next year. hope this helps some. forgot to add, I use the contract from GroundsKeeper.