• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Residential Zero Turn Mower Recommendations

SmSmith6427

LawnSite Member
I am going to purchase a zero turn mower this spring. I have about an acre of grass with many beds and islands. What are the better zero choices and why? I;m considering the mower a mulch kit and a bagger [for fall leaves].

Right now I have a price on a 2005 exmark z ct for $4,700 [no attachments].

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Doc Pete

LawnSite Gold Member
SmSmith6427 said:
I am going to purchase a zero turn mower this spring. I have about an acre of grass with many beds and islands. What are the better zero choices and why? I;m considering the mower a mulch kit and a bagger [for fall leaves].

Right now I have a price on a 2005 exmark z ct for $4,700 [no attachments].

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
If you want a super residential zeroturn mower, get the Toro homeowner "z cutter". I have the "orginal", which is called a "time cutter" and it cuts great, "PLUS" it doesn't weight a ton and leave marks in the lawn.
I understand it uses toro's commercial WB deck. The blade speed is way up there, unlike a normal homeowner machine. The ratio is 1 (motor) to .75 (blades), instead of 1 to 1 like many other professional machines. The blades totally sing from the speed.
You can also option for a spindle driven blower and 3 bag bagger, just like the $10,000 toros/exmarks.
Mine will suck up anything........

TopNotchLS

LawnSite Member
I have a scag tiger cub 52" 24hp honda. I use it for residential and commerical. It has a tri steel deck. I payed $7200 just for the mower. It has a 3yr warranty on the deck and spindles. At the time for the deck size that was the largest motor i could get for it, but it goes down to a 18hp.