1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Zero Turn Mower Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SmSmith6427, Jan 7, 2006.

1. SmSmith6427

SmSmith6427 LawnSite Member

I am going to purchase a zero turn mower this spring. I have about an acre of grass with many beds and islands. What are the better zero choices and why? I;m considering the mower a mulch kit and a bagger [for fall leaves].

Right now I have a price on a 2005 exmark z ct for $4,700 [no attachments].

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you want a super residential zeroturn mower, get the Toro homeowner "z cutter". I have the "orginal", which is called a "time cutter" and it cuts great, "PLUS" it doesn't weight a ton and leave marks in the lawn.
    I understand it uses toro's commercial WB deck. The blade speed is way up there, unlike a normal homeowner machine. The ratio is 1 (motor) to .75 (blades), instead of 1 to 1 like many other professional machines. The blades totally sing from the speed.
    You can also option for a spindle driven blower and 3 bag bagger, just like the $10,000 toros/exmarks.
    Mine will suck up anything........

3. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

You should also check out Simplicity's Consumer Z. It's made by the same company as Ferris, but it's the homeowner model.

4. centraldlr

centraldlr LawnSite Member

If Your Concerned With Price, Take A Look At A Toro Zx480. Nice Piece Of Equipment, All Though Not An Exmark

5. TopNotchLS

TopNotchLS LawnSite Member

I have a scag tiger cub 52" 24hp honda. I use it for residential and commerical. It has a tri steel deck. I payed $7200 just for the mower. It has a 3yr warranty on the deck and spindles. At the time for the deck size that was the largest motor i could get for it, but it goes down to a 18hp.