1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

restart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Starling Lawn, May 13, 2000.

1. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

guys ,<br>its my turn to ask for advice.as i advised in an earlier post,i`m relocating to fla.i`m going to restart my business after 2 yrs.i know what equipment i need to buy,it will be used sinces finances are tight.i already have most of the trimmers,but no mowers.i also drive a 81 vw diesel pu.(i know,no jokes)should i get the truck first or equipment and trailer?i already know the business end of things.i just wanted some imput from you guys.i don`t think getting customers is a problem since i have a bunch of contacts already.<br>dave

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave.<br>Driving a new truck with no equipment= 0.<br>VW with equipment= $ <p>Let the nay sayers laugh, do what your good at. Watch the tranny, pulling a trailer with a small vehicle can wreak havoc, change fluid and filter often...then get a truck!<p>Some guys have everything in the truck bed, that may work for you, depends on your equipment.

3. GrassMaster

GrassMaster Senior Member

Hello:<p>The Toroguy is right!<p>You can't make much money with a different truck! Buy the largest trailer you can afford & hopefully the one you buy will have dual axles, with brakes.<p>Used trailer will be fine, check the brakes, a few cans of spray paint & new wiring, plus other electrical parts will make it look like brand new, at a fraction of the cost!<p>Sounds like you got the experience & if that's so, your over half way there & your yards ahead of the competition!<p>The truck will come later, considering everything said, it will come sooner than you think!<p>BTW, since you are going to have to wait on the purchase of the truck, do this? Do your self a big favor & get you a killer truck, because you deserve it!<p>I Wish You & Yours the Best of Everything!<p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

4. OP
    OP
    Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

thx grassmaster and toro,i need somemore imput guys.<br>thx,dave

5. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Dave,<p>Will that truck carry 450#? Will a 36&quot; w/b fit in the box? Two 6' 2x10's and a 36&quot; w/b and it wouldn't take long to pay for a good used truck. And you could build from there.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I would get a truck first. You have to have something reliable to get you around for day to day things. Bidding, checking out equipment ect. Personally I had a small truck and found it to be ok for small work but I'd never buy a small truck again. Do it as big as you can w/truck and trailer and your business will grow to it. Good Luck.

7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I agree w/ grassmaster and toroguy!! <p>You can't make money without equipment. And you don't want to go cheap on equipment just to drive a nice new truck. I would get the best/biggest trailer and equipment possible. From what I remember FL. isn't that hilly so a little truck will pull the trailer without that much strain, you just have to watch braking. This setup will last you a while and then you can take the money that you've made and put a down payment on a truck. <br>Just my opion's though. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will think it out and and have good reasons for it. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR VENTURE.........