1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

restoring my truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ZOO YORK, Jun 23, 2006.

1. ZOO YORK

ZOO YORK LawnSite Member

well the time has come. ive been wanting to do a full restoration on my 1993 ford f-250 for a long time now. this is my first truck its been very good to me but the rust/rot is starting to get the best of it. still runs and drives great tho. what i need to do is replace the bed, as the rust and dents have really done a big number on it. anybody know where i can get a new factory bed? if i cant then ill just have this one restored i guess but it might be cheaper to replace. she needs a lot of body work i will be sure to post before and after pictures. i am painting it factory ford vermillion red, my favorit color. once its all done i am gonna get it lettered. nearing 140,000 miles and the truck is all original. cant beat that now can ya? i plan to keep her forever. so if any of you know where i can get a factory replacment bed for it that would be great. thanks a lot:cool2:

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

im gonna start restorin my 86 150 xlt lariat.......the efi 5.0 is a nice motor....but how do you like that 351?

3. ZOO YORK

ZOO YORK LawnSite Member

i love the 351. very reliable motor. great for towing and plowing as well. has plenty of power.

4. Palmer'sLS

i bet it does haha.....good luck with the retore....i am lookin to restore mine soon as well.....so we shoudl keep in touch

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I was just talking with my uncle, he has a 94 ( i believe) F350. with 329K miles on the original motor and >300K on the second transmission. no major rust either. He lives in NH by the seacoast too. He bought some sort of electrical nig-nog that runs electric current through the body and frame that prevents rusting.

6. Palmer'sLS

that sounds like a pretty cool gadget

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

When I was going to restore my 93 f150, I remember coming across a site that had all original body parts, that were already primed, so you just had to attach them and spray them.

I remember an 8ft bed was around $500, fenders were around $65 each, and hood was about 250. I couldnt find the doors on that site though. I cant find the website now, otherwise I'd post it.

8. ZOO YORK

ZOO YORK LawnSite Member

redwings if u could find me that site that would be awsome. thanks for the help guys. right now im doing the rear drums brakes on it. what a pita that is lol i hate drum brakes:dizzy:

9. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Check the junkyards. Sometimes there are vehicles with mint bodies with shot drivetrains. Some body parts are the same from 80-96.

Or, buy another shot F-series with a decent body for $500 as a parts truck. Use the parts off that for your truck, and gut the rest of it out. You can sell the rest of the parts at a swap meet, or just sell the parts in the paper. The money you can make off of that could be enough to get you a nice paint job for the truck you're restoring.

10. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

zoo york, I have a 93 150 xlt with the 351w, anyway try lmc truck they have a kinds of ford parts for all years. I did some work on my 77 f-250 and they came through with all the parts i needed. hope this helps!