restricted license

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by matt spinniken, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. matt spinniken

    matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 323

    Hello, I am currently working on getting my application license. Because I have employees that have the adequate experience my company is allowed a restricted license which means that I can not use z-sprays or a 200 gallon tank in my truck. He mentioned me using a backpack sprayer. What are some options and how long would it normally take to do an app with a backpack sprayer on maybe one acre??
  2. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    There is no such thing as a "restricted license" in Michigan. If you have an employee that is an actual licensed applicator (not a certified technician), then you are good to go. That is, as long as the employee has atleast two full years of certified experience.
  3. matt spinniken

    matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 323

    Thats what I thought, but not according to the guy at the MSU extension office. He said I could only apply for a restricted license at this time.
  4. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    I have no idea what planet this guy is from, but I would contact the DOA on it. Do a google search, bring up their site, and there will be ph. numbers on there.
  5. matt spinniken

    matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 323

    well hopefully my license wont be restricted but just so I know how long does it take to do an app of one acre with a backpack sprayer? And how many gallons do they hold?
  6. Harley-D

    Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 508

    Depends on rate, pressure, nozzle, and what your spraying. Sorry but it's the truth.
    Rate-how many gal/k ft.
    Pressure-adjustable and can effect rate
    Nozzle-is it letting the product out at the right rate at given pressure
    What-Use the right chemical at the right time for the given pest

    One acre with a backpack spraying 1gal/k sqft? 4 gal backpack...probably take a couple 3 hours with refilling if doing blanket app. Have fun. :)
  7. americanlawn

    americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest
    Messages: 5,954

    matt--- I think you might be full of it?? If not, don't take offense.

    When one buys a backpack sprayer, it tells you how big they are (usually 4 - 5 gallons), duh, but don't fill it up all the way cuz it's too heavy.

    Most backpack sprayers cover 1000 sq ft per gallon.

    Your state requires a pesticide applicator's liscence. To get one, all you have to do is pass the test(s). It's similar to getting a driver's liscense.

    In my city, guys can take the tests everyday until they pass. Just memorize your wrong answers each time you fail - then try again the next day. We had one guy who took the tests 13 times before passing & getting his liscense..........the State gals even went out to lunch with him several times, cuz he was down there so frequently. :laugh:
  8. lawnservice

    lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 589 calling certainly isnt gonna help anybody, right?

    Matt we generally use a 3 gal. backpack and do 6000-8000 sf per 3 gal depending on nozzle and product being applied. So on an acre, with refilling every 6000 sf its gonna take you a little while.

    In my state you flunk the test you can retake it. you flunk a 2cd time you wait 12 months before retaking

    taking 13 trys to pass....maybe another line of work should be considered?
  9. bbpropmaint

    bbpropmaint LawnSite Member
    Messages: 60

    Lawn service...What are you spraying@ those rates...IS it blanket app??You must be doing a fine mist of a hot mix..can u share with me??Im trying to get the most coverage with a backpack i can
  10. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    It is not even CLOSE to that here in Michigan. First, there are only certain dates that the testing is available, and in different regions. Once you take the tests and pass, you receive your certification(s) in whatever categories you test in. This will allow you to work for a licensed firm. To be a licensed applicator, you have to have either a. a bachelor degree in agronomy, or some other agricultural related field AND 1 year experience with a licensed applicator or b. Atleast 2 years working experience as a certified tech. for a licensed applicator. This information must be supplied at the time of application, on the Notarized Letter of Experience Form, signed by the person with the qualifying experience, and NOTARIZED by a Notary Public.
    However, in the case like was said above that Matt said, if there is a licensed applicator that is hired within the business, then the business can get a license. he just needs to check and see if they indeed ARE actually qualified to acquire a license. I guess Michigan is one of the more stern states.

Share This Page