1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Retaining wall glue removal

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by slammin, Mar 26, 2009.

1. slammin

slammin LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am looking at a job to rebuild a smaller retaining wall. My big question is about removing the glued caps and looks like at least the top course is glued too. What is your experience in disassembly of a wall like this? Do I chisel them apart? Do I have to try and sell the customer half a new wall that wont match? Any input would be a great help. Thanks

2. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Sort of depends on the quality of glue they used. I have seen some that will come off with a putty knife, and some that won't come off without taking pieces of concrete with it.
    You really would need to pop off a few peices with a chisel and see what's going on underneath.
    Hope this helps.

3. soopa

soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY

Bru is right. I usually use Brickstik or PL, both of which will basically peel off with a little help from a putty knife.

4. slammin

slammin LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for the advice, Ill take have to take a look..

5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

6. btammo

btammo LawnSite Member

P.I.T.A.....try to sell them a new wall. Figure in your extra time to take all that apart and it might not be that far off.